1/72 Academy P-47D Thunderbolt Aguilas Aztecas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wingnutz

Airman 1st Class
Apr 20, 2007
Singapore
Finally finished my builds for the Razorback and Bubbletop P-47Ds in Escuadron 201st Aguilas Aztecas (Aztec Eagles) livery, circa 1945, Porac, Pampanga, Philippines. This is to pay homage to the brave Mexican airmen who laid their lives to help liberate the Philippines during WW2.

The kits are both Academy P-47Ds and the decals were a mix of Aztec Models (Mexico) and from the original kit. Paints used are a combination of Tamiya Lacquer, Mr Hobby Acrylics and AK Metal Paints. Weathered with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colors, Mr Hobby Weathering Pastels and Mr Hobby Smoke. The Academy kits are quite good in detail and are quite easy to build. I added some bomb rack details from styrene, the ventral on the bubble top, fin aerials from monofilament fishing line and some cockpit details like gun sights and belt harnesses.

The base graphics was put together in Photoshop and mounted on a picture frame featuring the squadron mascot, Panchito Pistoles. A 1/72 Airfix Chevrolet M6 Bomb Service Truck and an M5 Bomb Trailer to add scale and context to the build from my previous softbody builds.

1-72_P-47D_Bubble Top.jpg
1-72_P-47D_Bubble Top_2.jpg
1-72_P-47D_Razorback.jpg

1-72_P-47D_Razorback_2.jpg

1-72_P-47D_Razorback_Base1.jpg

1-72_P-47D_Razorback_Base2.jpg
1-72_P-47D_Bubble Top_Base1.jpg

1-72_P-47D_Bubble Top_Base2.jpg
P-47D_base copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back