1/72 Blohm Voss P170 "Schnellbomber", from Planet Models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hamiltonian

Airman
Feb 17, 2014
This is the last of my trio of unusual aircraft designs from Blohm Voss, and another one that never got off the drawing board. Again, finished in Eastern Front colours. The markings are partly from the very basic decal set included with the kit, and partly from some left-overs from previous models, making up my interpretation of how such an oddly shaped aircraft might have been marked up. I also used a couple of PJ Productions German WWII pilots to add a pilot and navigator/bomb-aimer to convert this to a flying model.
It's a resin kit with vacform canopies, which is all new to me. Wow, how I'm yearning for a kit with locating tabs ...
Placing brass rods to support the wings worked surprisingly well, but introduced a couple of bulges that needed to be sanded, which removed some panel lines, which meant I had to rescribe the panels, which is also new to me. So there are a few wonky lines. And I scribed too deeply on the fuselage, which seemed to be made of different density resin from the wings. Anyway, here it is:
bv p170 1.jpg
bv p170 2.jpg
bv p170 3.jpg
bv p170 4.jpg

As you can see, the pilot sat at the back. The navigator had a huge glass-house midfuselage, and a little bomb-aiming window in the underside forward of that - I've placed him in bomb-aiming position, mainly because the kit didn't really lay out a useful navigator position. The pilot sits above a long strip window that runs forward to the navigator position. I imagine that would have been handy when you were trying to land the damn thing, with that wide mainplane completely obscuring your view of the runway!
It was a nice kit, though very basic. The fact it turned into a sort of rolling disaster for me was entirely my fault!

Great model well executed, but WTF were B&V designers taking in their spare time?

Doesnt it need a vertical control surface like a tailplain thingy?

I'm not sure about the plane but the model looks great !
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the kind comments.
Just to draw a line under Blohm Voss (for a while, I have a BV138 and a BV222 in my stash!) here's the BV 170 reunited with its asymmetrical colleagues, the BV141 and BV194, all together on a (very cluttered) stand.

B&V4.jpg
B&V5.jpg
B&V6.jpg

I now want to do a bit of work on the first stage of a Revell 1/96 Saturn V, but after that I'm building a specific Hurricane IIc belonging to 135 Sq. RAF in 1944. As far as I know there are no photos of this particular aircraft, but I'm hoping to reconstruct it as accurately as possible from what I know of 135 Sq. and the markings of SEAC Hurricanes around that time, plus any advice you knowledgeable people can offer!

BV make some of Burt Rutan concepts look dated - well indirectyl BV inspired some of his thinking.
BV, in my mind, while unconventional, did have some proven concepts and aerodynamical understandings for what they intended sometimes seeming to me, in a more practical manner to some other what if other manufacturer projects that were allowed to progress further by egoists, small-mindedness, ineffectuals politcal wiesels.
It is a lucky fact the war ended early in EUrope, their P.210 P.215 seemed very capable designs vs. the Ta.183 (a tail-less control-a-like witha fragile tail - though a type III could be more quickly reverted too should combat loads and damage raise the need(s) to)

Since BV (aero-wise,) I believe they mostly made parts and components for other companies A/C's, they had more 'design testing space' relative to others; but they were quite committed production wise to producing armour (tanks or component armour/construction sheetings) and metals for rails, rolling stocks and other uses.

Last edited:
Excellent! Those aircraft are really neat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back