100-octane fuel in the RAF in 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More comparison data here:
Spitfire_I_II_III_25april40-800.jpg

Comparisons of Spitfire I's with DH and Rotol props and bullet proof windscreen found top speeds to be similar with N.3171 obtaining 354 mph and R.6774, 355 mph. By comparison, Spitfire I K.9793 with a DH two-pitch prop and original windscreen reached 367 mph.
R6774_N3171_Comparison-excerpt.jpg

While costing speed, the bullet proof windscreen did prove its worth.
bulletproof_windscreen.jpg

More comparison data here:
View attachment 738345

Comparisons of Spitfire I's with DH and Rotol props and bullet proof windscreen found top speeds to be similar with N.3171 obtaining 354 mph and R.6774, 355 mph. By comparison, Spitfire I K.9793 with a DH two-pitch prop and original windscreen reached 367 mph.
View attachment 738346

While costing speed, the bullet proof windscreen did prove its worth.
View attachment 738348
more interesting if the different wings were noted. or do we take the assumption? would explain more of the Mk2s speed?

I hope we can all go home now, this appears to be pretty categorical proof that "all operational fighter and bomber stations" were not only stocked with aircaft "approved" for use with 100 grade (which we already knew), but that also, the only way it could be stored was the REMOVAL of the old 87 remaining. This was it says complete by the end of June 1940. View attachment 738005
I let things calm down a little, and take that for a genuine remark. These paragraphs are pretty interesting and I don't dispute their conclusion.

But a document lacking date, from / to, and context is of little-to-no relevance.

(Having to remind history method 101 keeps puzzling me)

I let things calm down a little, and take that for a genuine remark. These paragraphs are pretty interesting and I don't dispute their conclusion.

But a document lacking date, from / to, and context is of little-to-no relevance.

It seems there has been plenty of documentation shown with dates included.
Yet you dont seem to want to believe what they are saying ?

The document specifically states that it was giving the operational situation up to the end of June 1940, which is relevant to the Battle of Britain generally stated to be from July to October. It explains in part why Park had a Hurricane as his transport, whatever he used had to run on 100Octane fuel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back