303rdBG

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
This is the control tower of the 303rd. If you look close you can see one squadron on the runway and squadrons each side on the taxi lanes, all waiting for take off on a mission.

Attachments

• pp-molesworthtower1.jpg
    pp-molesworthtower1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 147
Great shot Bill. Do you have a photo collection from your service days and is this one of them?
I do not have a personal collection. Personal cameras were not to be used for security reasons but they were. This shot is from the 303edbg collection.

Last edited:
Amazing picture Bill.
As far as my imagination goes when I try to visualize all those B-17s/B-24s taking off for a mission; it could never match witnessing those epic moments like you did.

Amazing picture Bill.
As far as my imagination goes when I try to visualize all those B-17s/B-24s taking off for a mission; it could never match witnessing those epic moments like you did.
If interested go to YouTube "303 BG B-17 Flying Fortress UK 1943 8th AF". This short clip is of my Bomb Group. You can get a feeling for "tight formation" flight. The perils are reflected at the end of the clip'

Last edited:
Great photo Bill.
Do you happen to know what those white objects are, which appear to be in front of the signals square on the field side of the tower ?

Really enjoyed the clip. (You have to put a space between "303" and "BG" for the search to pull up the right clip; otherwise you get a bunch of videos of the "Sally B".) Saw some other nice 303 BG videos on there as well.
Sorry for the error in the address. Glad you enjoyed the clip

Great photo Bill.
Do you happen to know what those white objects are, which appear to be in front of the signals square on the field side of the tower ?
I don't know. when enlarging the photo they look like bags. Could be filled with sand to fight fires?

Really enjoyed the clip. (You have to put a space between "303" and "BG" for the search to pull up the right clip; otherwise you get a bunch of videos of the "Sally B".) Saw some other nice 303 BG videos on there as well.

I noticed that too.
It's would give me vertigo watching those B-17s jumping up and down to keep a tight formation!
What a complex science daylight strategic bombing was.

Thanks Bill and Scott.
It looks like they might be on short poles - wonder if they're lamps, to give runway direction for any night landings ?
If so, I haven't seen that before.

Thanks Bill and Scott.
It looks like they might be on short poles - wonder if they're lamps, to give runway direction for any night landings ?
If so, I haven't seen that before.
There is another pile of them on the other side of the control tower near the ambulance and trucks containing liquids to fight fires. Could be flags to put around crash locations to alert landing aircraft?

That's interesting Bill love to see more as time permits Sir ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back