5./Jg300 fuselage bands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hello. I am trying to find out a little more about the red fuelage bands applied to the FW190A-8s of 5(Sturm)./JG300.

There is a lot of information on the internet and in books but much of it is conflicting.

My questions are the following:

1) When did 5(Sturm)./ JG300 first introduce the red fuselage band? I am particularly interested in early-mid September 1944.

2) What is the most likely RLM colour of the red band? I have read either RLM23 (red) or " Rotbraun" or possibly red oxide colour (not sure if there is a corresponding RLM number for these?).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello. I am trying to find out a little more about the red fuelage bands applied to the FW190A-8s of 5(Sturm)./JG300.

There is a lot of information on the internet and in books but much of it is conflicting.

1) When did 5(Sturm)./ JG300 first introduce the red fuselage band? I am particularly interested in early-mid September 1944.

2) What is the most likely RLM colour of the red band? I have read either RLM23 (red) or " Rotbraun" or possibly red oxide colour (not sure if there is a corresponding RLM number for these?).

Thanks!
Bump

Thank you for looking. It seems the brick red band only became standard around October 44 and the blue-white-blue in late December 44.

Thanks!
Dear Von hahn,
Talking about the tailband colour, I think that the right answer might be a darker hue of red, maybe with a tip of brown. As you wrote both Rotbraun or red oxide colour fit this definition, however RLM correspondences don't exist for these colours. The only coded RLM colours that could be close enaugh to them are RLM 26 Braun or RLM 28 Weinrot, but I would exclude the last one (Here for colour chips RLM: i colori della Luftwaffe).
I also found on "Luftwaffe codes, markings & units 1939-1945" by Barry C. Rosch that the tail band of JG 300 aircraft is defined as "rust red".
I would definitely exclude solid red, since this colour was already in use by JG 1 as a distinctive tailband marking. In the end I would assume that the right colour, as I wrote, could be a darkn brown-red, since there are no evidences of a clear correspondence between RLM colours and the paints used for RVD tailbands. However this is just a supposition and I would be very happy to know other opinions!
To conclude a comparision between the "Red" used on JG 7 red and blue tailbands and the "Rust red" for JG 300 ones. The second one appears definitely darker.
050k3gknjdt41.jpg

9cc78c060ed251cb2f3c6dd4c7c5fcd7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back