75th Anniversary of Operation Tidal Wave, 1 August 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pops

Airman
Jun 4, 2017
Wednesday, August 1st, 2018 will be the 75th anniversary of the epic USAAF B-24 Liberator heavy bomber low-level mission against the oil refineries at Ploesti (Ploiesti in modern parlance), Romania. Is anyone aware of any commemoration or ceremony anywhere by any entity to remember this strategic mission? To compare and contrast, there was an interesting multinational remembrance in Germany last month for the Operation Chastise/dambuster raid of 16/17 May 1943. If anyone is aware of an Operational Tidal Wave commemoration, event, news or historical article and the like, please post it to this thread - thanks in advance!

B-24D TIDAL WAVE Decal Sets Update
With the coming 75th Anniversary of the 1 August 1943 low-level attack on the oil refineries at Ploesti, Romania, by the combined force of 8th Air Force and 9th Air Force B-24 bombers, we're working hard on getting a series of brand-new PYN-ups Decals and Cutting Edge decal sets on the street.

So far we've completed the artwork for 21 specific aircraft and have 11 more to go before the project is finished. I selected the specific subjects based on you modelers' voting in the survey I ran last year. I'll be honest: I've added a couple of subjects you may never have heard of before, but are historically VERY important. When you see my TIDAL WAVE book and documentary you'll understand why I've included them. Their stories are truly amazing.

Most of these subject have extremely cool nose art, in many cases based on clear photos you've probably never seen. I'm also including all the formation leaders' ships as well as the others that garnered the most votes in the survey.

The research and artwork quality and accuracy behind these sets is exactly what you've come to expect from PYN-ups and Cutting Edge, and there are a number of significant corrections to what you may have been told about some of these subjects. A few of these subjects have been portrayed in published profiles and decal sheets in the past, but you'll see some important differences in ours, based on photos of the real things. As usual we'll provide the documentation!

The subjects completed so far include:

• Black Jack
  • Bomerang
  • Brewery Wagon
  • Buzzin' Bear/Miss Delores
  • Death Dealer
  • Flak Alley
  • GI Ginnie
  • Hail Columbia
  • Jersey Jackass/(Bashful)
  • Old Blister Butt
  • Sneezy
  • Snow White
  • Suzy Q
  • Teggie Ann
  • The Sandman
  • The Scorpion
  • The Witch
  • Tupelo Lass
  • Utah Man
  • Victory Ship
  • Vulgar Virgin
The remaining 11 are "secret"–stand by to learn which ones they are!

This collection will also include documented German and Romanian Bf 109s and Bf 110s, and Romanian IAR-80 series fighter participants.

Source: World's Best Model Airplane Decals | Cutting Edge Decals | PYN-up Decals | Yellowhammer Decals

Major Progress Update (on Tidal Wave subjects)
With the 75th anniversary of the TIDAL WAVE attack on Ploesti only a few months away, I've been busting my butt on the three major projects I have underway to commemorate the event and honor the participants. I can freely admit I'm really feeling the pressure!

My three projects are:

• TIDAL WAVE documentary to be released on DVD
  • TIDAL WAVE book, to accommodate the MASSIVE amount of new material I've discovered in my "leave no stone unturned" research
  • A series of TIDAL WAVE aircraft markings decal sets
Further discussion and comments at: Major Progress Update | Dragged Through The Mouth of Hell At Ploesti

Through efforts to create awareness and find out if anyone anywhere will commemorate Operation Tidal Wave, it appears that two of the squadrons involved that are still flying heavy bombers today, the 343rd Bomb Squadron (B-52H) and 345th Bomb Squadron (B-1B) of the Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) intend to do something in their units to remember that famous mission. Please see the attached product created by the 307th Bomb Wing (AFRC) Public Affairs team for the 343rd Bomb Squadron as a sample of what the units are doing. Both squadrons were in the 98th Bomb Group, the Pyramidiers, at the time and struck the Astro Romana refinery on the south side of Ploiesti as the 98th Bomb Group's third and fourth waves over the target. Both squadrons also contributed aircraft and crews to the smaller fifth wave. Will update their commemorative activities when able.

Attachments

• Operation Tidal Wave 75th Ann.pdf
    326.5 KB · Views: 411
Air Force 1 Aircraft (Series 2) A00157, Consolidated B-24D Liberator Diecast Model in 1/72 scale, depicting USAAF 376th BG, 512rd BS, #42-40563 Wongo Wongo!, Ploesti, Romania, Operation Tidal Wave, 1 August 1943. Pre-Ordering now, "planned arrival date" in August 2018 per information at: B-24D Liberator 1:72 Diecast Model - Air Force 1 AF-A00157 - $115.95
and some other commentary on subject with erroneous attribution of cause of aircraft loss at: Air Force 1 Braves the AA Fire to Take a Swipe at Ploesti

Hat tip to Mr. Chris Gregg on the B-24 Best Web Liberator Discussion Group in Facebook, for his word that there will be a little something at the National Museum of the US Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB OH on 1 August. A previously planned Tidal Wave reunion was cancelled, probably due to limited participation as our surviving veterans get older, but this is on the NMUSAF website calendar for August 2018:

Wednesday, August 1

Plane Talks - 75th Anniversary of the Ploesti Raid, 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Former Museum Curator, Joe Ventolo, will be near the B-24 in the WWII Gallery to share information about the Ploesti Raid.

News via Alianta, the organization promoting Romanian-American cultural, economic, and security ties that there will be a commemoration of Operation Tidal Wave on 1 August 2018 between 100 and 1400.

The 75th Anniversary of the famed 'Tidal Wave' bombing raid over Ploiesti on Aug 1, 1943, will be celebrated in Bucharest.

The event will feature "Knights of the Sky", a documentary directed by Nicholas Dimancescu.

< Knights of the Sky: Air War Over Romania – Kogainon Films (Studio 901 Productions llc), Concord, Massachusetts >

The documentary "Knights of the Sky" is presented through the eyes and words of Nicholas Dimancescu. He journeys back to Romania both to uncover the stories of American and Romanian airmen who raided and defended Romania's Ploesti oil refineries during World War II.

The experiences of wartime fighter pilot 'aces' on both sides are recounted. Two of them, once enemies who attacked one another over Romania, meet for the first time 66 years later.

Also told is the first-ever low-level "Tidal Wave" bombing raid launched from Libya against Romania's oil refineries on August 1, 1943. Interviewed is the captain of the famed "Sandman" B-24.

Aside from the nit noy detail of the Sandman being depicted backwards, they have a nifty advertisement for the event as well:
historical-event.jpg

Source: "Tidal Wave" Bombing raid to be commemorated – Alianta – Strengthening the Romanian American Alliance

Kudos to the Lone Star Flight Museum in Houston, Texas, for noting the 1 August Tidal Wave "Black Sunday" 75th anniversary and for planning a Sunday, 5 August event to talk about it: Join us this Sunday, August 5, at 1:30 pm to learn more about the controversial Operation Tidal Wave during our Curator's Corner presentation for August.

"It is no surprise that Texans were heavily involved in Operation Tidal Wave, and one, Col. John R. "Killer" Kane of McGregor, Texas, was a Medal of Honor recipient. A total of 105 Texans flew into the hell that was Ploiesti and 27 men (26% of the Texans involved) paid the ultimate price. For those who lived through it, Operation Tidal Wave would be remembered simply as "Black Sunday." "

Source: Black Sunday | Lone Star Flight Museum

Looking around the internet there is a dearth of information on the 75th anniversary of Tidal Wave, with one known exception so far. If anyone knows of any Tidal Wave 75th information, articles, pics, whatever, please share here. Anyway, see article titled "Remembering Operation Tidal Wave at 75 Years – Oregonians in the Low-Level Mission against Ploiești, 1 August 1943" at link below. One caption for one of the images is wrong and needs to be corrected.
Remembering Operation Tidal Wave at 75 Years – Oregonians in the Low-Level Mission against Ploiești, 1 August 1943 > 142nd Fighter Wing > Article Display

Users who are viewing this thread

Back