A base for a 1/72 Me 262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rtbrd

Airman
Jun 5, 2023
I just finished a 1/72 Me 262 and want to build a base for it which I need to keep small due to lack of space. I have researched what materials the Germans used for airstrips which appears to be grass, concrete and asphalt. I'm sure Me 262s did not use grass fields so I am faced with which would be better, concrete or asphalt, never found a definitive answer for that. Currently I'm leaning towards concrete. BTW, this is going to be my first attempt at making anything remotely similar to a diorama so I am in the KISS mode right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at reference photos, especially if there are some of your actual subject aircraft or unit.
Mostly, the '262 would be parked on a hard surface, more likely concrete, but grass runways were sometimes used, depending on the location / time period.

Know this is quite an old thread but it is in the area I am interested in getting an answer.

I just finished a 1/72 Me 262 and want to build a base for it which I need to keep small due to lack of space. I have researched what materials the Germans used for airstrips which appears to be grass, concrete and asphalt. I'm sure Me 262s did not use grass fields so I am faced with which would be better, concrete or asphalt, never found a definitive answer for that. Currently I'm leaning towards concrete. BTW, this is going to be my first attempt at making anything remotely similar to a diorama so I am in the KISS mode right now.
In the last months of the war, Me262s were operated from revetments carved into the forest alongside the Autobahn.

So the Me262s would be parked on grassy ground (surrounded by trees and often covered with camouflage netting or tree branches) while not in service and when they would be deployed, taxi out onto the highway and take off.

Have a look at reference photos, especially if there are some of your actual subject aircraft or unit.
Mostly, the '262 would be parked on a hard surface, more likely concrete, but grass runways were sometimes used, depending on the location / time period.
Thanks, I have looked at various photos on the net which is why I am leaning towards concrete. Never came across any showing Me 262s using grass. The model I am building is a Me 262B-1a as a trainer not nightfighter and those are very rare photos, in fact the only period date ones are of captured aircraft generally marked as British or American. Attached is "Vera" WNr 110639 at Lechfeld, here the runway/taxiway looks to be concrete. This plane has been restored and currently lives at the National Naval Aviation Museum located at NAS Pensacola, FL.
Ver etal_1.jpg
Port Side Fuselage_Upper Wing  With Good View of Camouflage Cropped_1.png

Last edited:
In the last months of the war, Me262s were operated from revetments carved into the forest alongside the Autobahn.

So the Me262s would be parked on grassy ground (surrounded by trees and often covered with camouflage netting or tree branches) while not in service and when they would be deployed, taxi out onto the highway and take off.
Yes, I have come across photos of them as such. I intend to do a 1/48 scale in the future and maybe by then my diorama skills will have increased and I can do one as such. Thanks for the input.

Gotta admit you all are a wealth of information. I don't know how many pix I looked at while searching and never came across these. Thanx.

Check out model train building sites for materials. Stuff found there can be adapted.....

Check out model train building sites for materials. Stuff found there can be adapted.....
Oh boy, another place to spend money. Took a quick look so now I have a good starting point for a diorama materials. Thanks. BTW, loved your handle since I first saw it. Unfortunately I'm too familiar with fubars. #-oI'm in the glaciers of Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back