A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a technical question. Are only really purchased books allowed to get bragged about here, or pirated scans as well? I just have certain suspicions and want to clarify the rules.

Pirates are to be hanged. The corpses suspended in iron cages, displayed in Portsmouth.

Yes and no.

As a member of a family that has a famous author whose books are still in print and routinely pirated I despise pirated books however I fully support the NZ copyright act as summarised above the photocopiers in the Hamilton public library when I visited some ten years back.

They have/had a big warning about copying material but included in the notice words to the effect that if the book is out of print and is no longer available for purchase (meaning all remaining new copies have been sold) then there were no restrictions on copying. Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the notice so I cannot give the exact wording.

As most of you know I scan and PDF manuals and documents that I have in my collection that are out of print and no longer available for purchase. I do not consider that pirating but more conserving material that is impossible to purchase. Most admittedly are US and UK tech pubs that either never were in copyright or on which copyright has been cancelled.

EDIT. As we have a number of authors on this forum. I would like to hear their thoughts on this subject.

Last edited:
20240320_140549.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back