Air to Air combat techniques

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Venomstick121

Airman 1st Class
Dec 21, 2023
I play War Thunder, for those that dont know it is a military vehicle game focused on trying to be realistic. In warthunder there are tactics like Boom and Zoom, turnfighting and energy fighting. Are these real tactics?

Though its only a game, no one better than BiffF15 BiffF15 (3Fs) who might be able to give you a real world opinion on these
Venomstick,

I have only played IL-2. I have watched a little Warthunder advertising.

As for the tactics they still exist. Boom and zoom works well against bomber types with a tail gun. Attack from the forward quarter with the gun, and zoom to stay clear of the tail guns field of fire.

As for turn fighting, it's called Basic Fighter Maneuvers, or BFM AKA dogfighting. And yes there is energy fighting, generally called rate or radius fighting. Throw in guns, heat seeking or radar guided missiles, chaff, flares, electronic attack, radars, tactics and you have a slice of the modern arena.

Cheers,
Biff

Just my opinion, but an excellent book on combat tactics is Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw. Believe it's freely available online now. Explains all strategies/maneuvers with stories and explanations from the pilots.

The Air Combat Tutorial Library
This channel is great too, if you're more of a visual learner. Il-2 and DCS but all of it will transfer to any sim.

Venomstick,

I have only played IL-2. I have watched a little Warthunder advertising.

As for the tactics they still exist. Boom and zoom works well against bomber types with a tail gun. Attack from the forward quarter with the gun, and zoom to stay clear of the tail guns field of fire.

As for turn fighting, it's called Basic Fighter Maneuvers, or BFM AKA dogfighting. And yes there is energy fighting, generally called rate or radius fighting. Throw in guns, heat seeking or radar guided missiles, chaff, flares, electronic attack, radars, tactics and you have a slice of the modern arena.

Cheers,
Biff
Thanks! Always interesting hearing a pilot talk about aviation

Some pdf books worth reading.

In Pursuit by : Pilot Press
The link above has a pdf link for In Pursuit and a link for an 11 page preview of The Book of Noob.

If you wanted printed copies of the books
In Pursuit: Amazon.com
The Book of Noob: Amazon.com

Johan Kylander: Amazon.com

--------

DCS forum:
The post I linked below has a link for the book Fighter-Combat-Tactics-and-Maneuvering.

SimHQ:
NO GUTS NO GLORY by Major Frederick C. "Boots" Blesse: http://www.simhq.com/_air/PDF/NGNG.pdf
Boom and Zoom Tactics by Andy Bush @ SimHQ: Boom and Zoom Tactics, Part One
Andy Bush: SimHQ Bio - Andy Bush

Wheels

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back