Aircraft on trains

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Hi guys,

I need some help. Today I started making a Ho size train set. My goal is make a few train cars carrying aircraft. Either off the battle field say from a crash to new aircraft being taken to a airfield. I have the pictures Ive posted in the techinical forum area but am looking for real pictures of aircraft on rail road cars.

Right now the type of aircraft does not matter nor the country they belong to.

Thanks in advance for any help.

B17F BN-V awaiting flatcar.jpg
B17g 'Gamecock' on german flatcar.jpg
Typhoon JX-U on french flat car.jpg
Hi Micdrow,

Heres a few pictures I've found in books that show A/c on flatcars.

The Hawker Typhoon came from the book "In Enemy hands" by Bryan Philpott,
the two B17's were from the book "Strangers in a Strange Land" by Hans-Heiri Stapfer

Hope they help.

Regards

TonyO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Concorde247,

I really like the Hawker Typhoon, especially since you can also read the lettering on the rail road car.

Thanks again.

Very cool comiso90, Many thanks. I have two ideas Im working on. Not sure on which one Im going with.

One is Im thinking of having a train that has AA guns, tanks, aircraft and such much like a supply train.

The other is to have an airfield in the center with a factory and runway. Maybe for restoring broken down aircraft that came back for major repair or deliver of aircraft to remote areas. Also thinking of maybe building as a test facility for restoring of captured aircraft and military hardware. Not sure if such a facility really existed but then again it will also be something different. Accurate to a certain point but at the same time not.

Ive got the table cut and built along with the grass mounted. Currently testing out track layouts.

Currently Im using a 4 foot x 8 foot sheet of plywood, and depending on how things go I have the option to add a second sheet.

Believe it or not its actually alot harder to do and plan then I first thought.

Thanks again for the info

peene-train-001.jpg
Very cool comiso90, Many thanks.

Thanks again for the info

Hey.. I've read a ton of the stuff you posted.. the least i could do is spend a few moments Google-ing.

Which nation are u replicating? I've always liked the fortified trains with AA and troops.

Keep us up dated!

maybe this could be your next project!

A4/V2 Sites in Westerwald

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again comiso90,

The more I think about it the more I think I will go with a german theme with the possibily of a couple of captured allied aircraft laying around along with axis aircraft.

Interesting layout for the V2 though. Never seen anything like that mounting.

Thanks again though for the pictures.

Thanks again comiso90,

The more I think about it the more I think I will go with a german theme with the possibily of a couple of captured allied aircraft laying around along with axis aircraft.

That sounds great... transporting to Berlin via rail a B-24 that belly landed .. It would be nice to show the aircraft bent up and a little mangled but that is hard to do in plastic.

Hey as a twist... put Glen Millers plane on a flat car..

As a kid, I bought HO scale military train cars. One of them as a box car with false sides. The false sides were hinged at the bottom and each side would fall down revealing a German 88 AA gun. I have read about these cars being attached to trains to lure in unsuspecting attackers. Don't know if the layout is historically correct though.

As a kid, I bought HO scale military train cars. One of them as a box car with false sides. The false sides were hinged at the bottom and each side would fall down revealing a German 88 AA gun. I have read about these cars being attached to trains to lure in unsuspecting attackers. Don't know if the layout is historically correct though.

It would seem to me that a lower caliber weapon with a greater rate of fire would be more effective. If the train is getting bounced by P-47's zooming low and fast i'd think an 88 would be a bit unwieldy.

Id outfit the rail car with a dozen 20mm's and 37mm's before I went with an 88.

IMO the 88 was more effective against high fliers.

It's like a destroyer on rails!

Did the allies have any aerial cannon that could pierce the armor? I imagine rockets would at least blow it off the tracks

Hi Micdrow,

Searching for something completely different, I just found this site with models of a couple of Luftwaffe aircraft on trains:

Unbenanntes Dokument

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back