"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ukraine has sidelined U.S.-provided Abrams M1A1 battle tanks for now in its fight against Russia, in part because Russian drone warfare has made it too difficult for them to operate without detection or coming under attack, two U.S. military officials told The Associated Press.

The U.S. agreed to send 31 Abrams to Ukraine in January 2023 after an aggressive monthslong campaign by Kyiv arguing that the tanks, which cost about $10 million apiece, were vital to its ability to breach Russian lines.

But the battlefield has changed substantially since then, notably by the ubiquitous use of Russian surveillance drones and hunter-killer drones. Those weapons have made it more difficult for Ukraine to protect the tanks when they are quickly detected and hunted by Russian drones or rounds.

Five of the 31 tanks have already been lost to Russian attacks.

The proliferation of drones on the Ukrainian battlefield means "there isn't open ground that you can just drive across without fear of detection," a senior defense official told reporters Thursday.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity to provide an update on U.S. weapons support for Ukraine before Friday's Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting.

For now, the tanks have been moved from the front lines, and the U.S. will work with the Ukrainians to reset tactics, said Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chairman Adm. Christopher Grady and a third defense official who confirmed the move on the condition of anonymity.

...Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said: "Now we will do everything to make up for half a year spent in debates and doubts.
"What the Russian occupier was able to do during this time, what Putin is now planning, we must turn against him."

The United States announced a $6 billion weapons package for Ukraine on Friday, its largest military aid package to date for Kyiv's forces.

The weapons and equipment will include critical interceptors for Ukraine's Patriot and NASAM air defense systems, significant amounts of artillery ammunition, air-to-ground munitions, counterdrone weapons, and maintenance and sustainment support, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters.

The aid tranche, which will pull from the $61 billion in Ukraine funding signed into law by President Biden on Wednesday, will be contracted through the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative. This means the U.S. will buy new equipment made by American defense firms for the Ukrainian military rather than pull from its own stocks, a process that could take months or years for the weapons to reach the embattled country.

Goddamnit, these folk don't have years, they're fighting for their lives right now.

To be honest, it's been rather quiet for a while now, regarding Ukrainian equipment and deployment.

They have been really vocal about not having ammunition, yes - however, in the past, when Ukraine was at a tactical disadvantage, they were really quiet about it.

Aside from clashes along the lines and occasional long range strikes, they've been particularly quiet.

Even now, with EU and U.S. aid ciming down the pike, the silence is deafening.

If I were Shoigu, I'd be extremely concerned...

If I were Shoigu, I'd be extremely concerned...

Given the corruption charges laid against a high-ranking assistant, doubly so. Outlets are reporting those charges as an internal move to undermine his standing with Putin.

And too I hope that Ukraine doesn't bleat and blather about future plans for this resupply, as they did last year. STFU and let the Russian intel earn their damned paychecks.

Given the corruption charges laid against a high-ranking assistant, doubly so. Outlets are reporting those charges as an internal move to undermine his standing with Putin.

And too I hope that Ukraine doesn't bleat and blather about future plans for this resupply, as they did last year. STFU and let the Russian intel earn their damned paychecks.
I thought that was the job of Western pundits.

When the Ukrainians unleashed their Blitzgreig in 2022, it was without warning and caught the Red Army completely off guard.
Last year, the media caught wind of a possible Ukrainian offensive and plastered it all over the media and in a few instances, offered details and I strongly believe this is what blunted their effort.
Now, if you'll notice, not a whisper of any intended counter-stroke from any UAF sources. Nada.

This could be considered the calm before the storm.

When the Ukrainians unleashed their Blitzgreig in 2022, it was without warning and caught the Red Army completely off guard.
Last year, the media caught wind of a possible Ukrainian offensive and plastered it all over the media and in a few instances, offered details and I strongly believe this is what blunted their effort.
Now, if you'll notice, not a whisper of any intended counter-stroke from any UAF sources. Nada.

This could be considered the calm before the storm.

I sure hope you're right. Never telegraph your punch. I think the Ukrainians screwed that up in 2023, as you mention. I wonder too if reports of UAF withdrawing armor might be a matter of gathering reserves to support a punch.

Put 'em under cover in a central location and use them on an unexpected axis. The dogged fighting without deploying reserves seems to imply that.

I sure hope you're right. Never telegraph your punch. I think the Ukrainians screwed that up in 2023, as you mention. I wonder too if reports of UAF withdrawing armor might be a matter of gathering reserves to support a punch.

Put 'em under cover in a central location and use them on an unexpected axis. The dogged fighting without deploying reserves seems to imply that.

Or have they learned how to use the press to tell mistruths while they quietly add some additional forces where the orcs think they are getting weaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back