Alternate engines for the B-29

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Additionaly even low sulphur diesel fuel will play havoc on early FCUs, fuel nozzles and turbine blades.

How quickly would this take place? I admit that this is not a topic I have much data on save for that sulphur content is no good for the hot parts of the gas turbine.

How quickly would this take place? I admit that this is not a topic I have much data on save for that sulphur content is no good for the hot parts of the gas turbine.

Depending on the fuel and FCU, it could be within a matter of hours. As it was early turbine engines of the era had TBOs mesaured in the low triple digits and many times didn't reach their half their TBO. I doubt a turbo prop of the same era would have fared any better, let alone being installed on an aircraft flying 10 hours during a typical mission.

According to Wilkinson's "Aircraft Engines of the World" 1946 edition, Most American engines ran on 100/130 gasoline. All British engines ran on kerosene and the German BMW, Diamler-benz and Jumo engines ran on J-2 Diesel.

According to Wilkinson's "Aircraft Engines of the World" 1946 edition, Most American engines ran on 100/130 gasoline. All British engines ran on kerosene and the German BMW, Diamler-benz and Jumo engines ran on J-2 Diesel.

The American motors ran better on moonshine did they not?
Cheers
John

Just as well as the English ones ran on cheap gin. I understand the American ones on moonshine ran cleaner because there was no juniper berry contamination.

The juniper berry lubricated our RR superchargers and pure English gin,as distilled in sunny Plymouth, gave courage to all.
In any case G&T is a far more civilised drink, enjoyed the world over ( like our Empire).
Moonshine, or some other hideous brew that the Dukes of Hazzard were engaged in running served us well too.....as industrial paint stripper.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back