Another Part Verification: North American AT-6A?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jennison

Airman
Apr 6, 2024
I bought this part because of the story behind it and I'm hoping the part fits it.

I was told this plate is from AT-6A 41-16294 that was involved in a multiple AT-6A training accident over Hachita, New Mexico on the night of February 9, 1942. I don't know what part of an AT-6 this is from and I assume there's zero chance this can be positively connected with that accident (although, who knows with you guys), but I'd at least like to know if this is from an A. There seems to be some confusion in the notation on the back by the seller (it looks like an A was written over a D or a D over A), but that was probably an honest mistake. For purposes of interest, I include the research I did on that crash. Thanks!

Attachments

• View Item.png
    View Item.png
    593.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4822.jpeg
    IMG_4822.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4836.jpeg
    IMG_4836.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 5
That is terrific! Thank you! One more question if I may. When I just posted the back of the plate here and could see it in a larger format & much more clearly, it's evident that "P-51A" was overwritten with "AT-6D." It's not then from either of those aircraft, right?

Thanks again, Jennison

77-47002 is the p/n for the oil tank for the AT-6A thru AT-6D, SNJ-3, SNJ-4 and certain s/n SNJ-5's....Part of the 77-47001 Oil System Installation. The Type/Version block on the print is pretty smeared and very difficult to read.

That is terrific! Thank you! One more question if I may. When I just posted the back of the plate here and could see it in a larger format & much more clearly, it's evident that "P-51A" was overwritten with "AT-6D." It's not then from either of those aircraft, right?

Thanks again, Jennison

Firstly ... a such writing shouldn't be there. It is contemporary addition because such ones weren't there in 40', especially drown with a marker pen.
Secondly ... the P-51A had a different code for parts and started with 99.
Thirdly ... I agree with Cvairwerks the part number is of the oil tank used for the trainer type.
Fourthly .. if you buy items from the Ebay ... all that glitters is not gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back