Any F1 fans?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I watch all the races but am not a rabid fan of any particular team. I like to see good racing with skills well displayed. The predominance of any one or two teams is a bore.

I'm like Crimea. I have been watching F1 since the early '90ies. I'ma fan of any team that it's not Mercedes, because of their absolute dominance of the last couple of years. Glad that it's not the case anymore and I'm enjoying the fight between RB and Ferrari.

Been a fan of F1 since the days of Joseph Gilles Henri Villeneuve. Have to say, I am 1st a fan of a team with a Cdn, driver, 2nd of Ferrari. But midfield battles are just as exciting to me as those at the front.

I watch all of the races & follow Driver61 for his technical updates.

I remember watching F1 on ESPN in '88 and 89. I have sporadically watched since. I have been to Indy F1 and would love to go to Silverstone and my favorite, Spa.

BTW- the movie, Grand Prix, has some great period cinematography. Also, some actual drivers from the late 60s are in the film during the driver meeting at, coincidentally, Spa.

I've watched casually since the beginning of the 1990s, but became a real fan around 1998 - didn't miss a race for about 15 years (which takes commitment, living in Australia and Japan). Been to GPs at Melbourne, Suzuka, Kuala Lumpur and Hokenheim - and it rained at every single one of them.

Followed Williams through their ups and downs. The period since about 2004 has been painful.

When Mark Webber left for WEC and Porsche, I switched some of my loyalty to endurance.

As far as the actual competitive racing goes, there was a brilliant period between about 2014 and 2017 where the WEC was the best racing series on the planet (with Super GT in Japan a close second) - way more interesting technically and competitive between the teams. Prototype racing sort of withered after that (mostly due to costs), but hopefully the Hypercar/LMdH convergence from 2023 will see it back towards its best.

World Superbike was pretty exciting about that time too. That was just before Dora bought the series to bury it.

Watched all kinds of racing starting in the 60's, still watch some when I can. Indy 500 is a must.
F1 - Jimmy Clark, Andretti.
Followed Weber and now Ricciardo. With what is happening to Danny, it's all losing it's luster.
Daytona - Allison, Yarborough, Petty
Nascar - Petty, Ambrose
Indy cars - gotta be the Andretties. They are a household name for Yanks.
V8 Supercars - but with no Ford Holden rivalry............ eh!
Isle of Mann................................... wow.

Lotus and Ronnie Peterson....today's F1 is 🤢🤮💩....
I'm not one of the "in the past, everything was better" gang. Peterson died in a silly and tragical accident, which was quite common back in the day ( nothing bad about Peterson, he was brilliant). Last time that happened in formula 1 was 2014 and before that, 1994. One would say that f1 came a long way and because of that difference in safety record, I would say that f1 is better now then it was back then.

I'm not one of the "in the past, everything was better" gang. Peterson died in a silly and tragical accident, which was quite common back in the day ( nothing bad about Peterson, he was brilliant). Last time that happened in formula 1 was 2014 and before that, 1994. One would say that f1 came a long way and because of that difference in safety record, I would say that f1 is better now then it was back then.

Much like music, F1 was better in the past....so there! 😜😆😂

Better, not safer that is!

1000917.jpg

211 (1).jpeg

Jackie Stewart won three titles in 99 races. He gave up because he was sick of attending funerals. He was due to finish on 100 races, but his team mate Francois Cevert was killed in practice at Watkins Glen. The death rate at the time was shocking. Having said that 5 people have died at the Isle of Man this week.

These days it's more like Follow John....

Glad that they got rid of refueling....
Team should not be allowed to decide who crosses the finishing first either....get rid of Team Orders!

There's more excitement in watching paint dry....

Btw, is F1 viewership still going down?

Who still remember the Villeneuve vs Arnoux (France 1979) duel?

Gilles-Villeneuve-Rene-Arnoux-Dijon-French-Grand-Prix-Duel.jpg

Btw, is F1 viewership still going down?
Nope, it's higher than ever.

Back in the day of Villeneuve, you could not even see a full race, but only got the summary at the 9 o'clock news.

Btw, last year was quite exciting and this season started off quite good as well. I guess you haven't seen formula one in the last decade or two :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back