any F4F Wildcat fans out there?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that I have some F4F Wildcat photos I need some Hellcat and Bearcat photos also. Seen at the Willow Run Ypsilanti, MI airshow.

349243902_93cbV-L-1.jpg

349243800_s8fEY-L-1.jpg

351973385_fz4iw-L.jpg

Love the airplane. Cool little bird. Heard it is like flying a sportscar. Except, the landing gear. Looks like it would making any landing that wasn't carrier based (with a roll out) a bit tricky.

FM2's.

Chicago's O'Hare Airport has an F4F-3 on display in one of the terminals. It was found in Lake Michigan some years ago and restored to static display condition. IIRC, the -3 variant didn't have folding wings. That came along with the -4? Little hazy there.

Beautiful airplane, one of my favorites. The folding wings came with the -4, along with two other guns. Are there any F4F-4s flying?

UK based Wildcat at Duxford in 2006/7

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 311
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 302
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 298
  • w4.jpg
    w4.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 302
The Finnish Humu Buffalo (a low cost version with plywood wings) and a Finnish Buffalo recovered from a lake are going to be displayed in Finland. The recovered one will be displayed as is despite the original plan to put it in American colors for the Navy museum in Pensacola.

As for Devastators, I'm sure there's one in a museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back