Ar-440

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
No myth Vick! From 'Bombers of the Luftwaffe' by Joachim Dressel and Manfried Griehl:

The Ar 440 was an improved development of the Ar 240. The first prototype was cleared to fly in the early summer of 1942. The three following Ar 440 A-0s flew for the first time in November 1942, and in the following January they were sent to the Test Centre at Rechlin. Among other tests, comparative flight testing with the Ju 88 S, Me 410 and He 219 high-speed bombers was undertaken, and the Ar 440 showed considerable advantages in both speed and flying qualities. Further flight tests were even more convincing, so the Technische Amt issued an order for series production of the Ar 440. However, in the fighter programme of 1944 the Do 335 replaced the Ar 440, and further development was stopped...

Evan

The photographed excerpt shows an Arado project drawing of the Arado Ar 440, yet confusingly states that four pre-production Ar 440s were constructed. As someone on this user has pointed out, references to four Ar 440s being built are erroneous, because there were just two Ar 440 prototypes on order, with Ar 240 V10 being earmarked for conversion to the first Ar 440 prototype (see Manfred Griehl's book X-Planes: German Luftwaffe Prototypes 1930-1945 for info).

I'm not so sure about that. There were a total of 4 Ar-440A-0s produced and they used modified 240 components with several added fuseladge sections.*

I've also not been able to find any pics of it.

*Warplanes of the Thrid Reich by Green
Below is an image of Arado Ar 240A-04 (code: T9+GL). The Ar 240A-03 and A-04 were distinguished from the first two pre-production Ar 240A-0s in having four-blade propellers

1576370395220.png

All I could find was this side drawing. Cheers and HNY.
The drawing is actually of the Arado Ar 240A, not the Ar 440, because if you go to page 131 of Bombers of the Luftwaffe, a drawing of the Arado Ar 440 design from the Arado project documents shows no trace of machine guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back