Aviation myths that will not die

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The NTSB has released the probable cause for the July 2011 crash of a Wright "B" Flyer replica in which two people died during a test flight in Springfield, Ohio. After examining the wreck of the experimental airplane, investigators found a crack in a weld on the left propeller shaft, which, according to the NTSB report, "would have prevented the left propeller from being driven by the engine." Further examination found that the weld was defective.

Witnesses to the accident heard changes in the engine rpm before the airplane spiraled to the ground.

While investigators included the weld issue as a contributing factor, the probable cause of the accident was listed as the "flight crew's failure to maintain aircraft control following a partial loss of engine thrust during cruise flight." The pilots who died in the accident, Don Gum of Beavercreek, Ohio, and Mitchell Cary of Yellow Springs, Ohio, were both commercial-rated pilots and had a total of more than 300 hours of combined flight time in the same make and model as the accident airplane, according to the Dayton Daily News. They were members of Wright "B" Flyer Inc, which has been using the airplanes to promote the aviation heritage of the Dayton area for more than 25 years.

Unlike the original Wright Flyer, which was controlled by wing warping and control levers, the Wright "B" Flyer has ailerons and a control wheel. A 225 hp Lycoming engine drives two wooden propellers, pushing the airplane to a cruise speed of 60 mph.

Faulty Weld Contributed to Wright ?B? Flyer Accident | Flying Magazine

Unlike the original Wright Flyer, which was controlled by wing warping and control levers, the Wright "B" Flyer has ailerons and a control wheel. A 225 hp Lycoming engine drives two wooden propellers, pushing the airplane to a cruise speed of 60 mph.

Not really a Wright Flyer at all then.

I in no way intend to trivialise a tragic loss of life.

Cheers

Steve

Not really a Wright Flyer at all then.

I in no way intend to trivialise a tragic loss of life.

Cheers

Steve

They claim that it looks like one but is in reality a modern aircraft. The real Wright Flyer B, I believe, was a reasonable aircraft to fly. The original Wright Flyer was VERY difficult to fly. It uses a hip cradle to control roll, move it left and right to control wing warping. It was also very sensitive in pitch.

There are some that consider him to be Germany's greatest which is all relative to whatever your criteria is for "greatest". But thats the first time I've heard him being claimed as greatest for ALL nations.

Most fighter pilots think they're the greatest.
What's news about that ?

It's what's others might call supreme self confidence, they couldn't survive without it.

It's what's others might call supreme self confidence, they couldn't survive without it.

I have personally met some very modest ex fighter pilots, sadly no longer with us, who survived the war and where happy to fade if not into obscurity, then into a normal life.

The sort of arrogance exhibited by men like Galland or Bader is not a prerequisite for being a successful fighter pilot. Maybe this should be added to this thread as it is a myth and it never seems to die.

Cheers

Steve

Supreme self confidence doesn't mean you're arrogant, it just means that within you know, whatever happens, you can handle it, and if you can't, you're ready to accept the consequences.

It's the ones without that confidence that makes all the noise.

There are some that consider him to be Germany's greatest which is all relative to whatever your criteria is for "greatest". But thats the first time I've heard him being claimed as greatest for ALL nations.

My point exactly. I have never heard anyone that is a serious WW2 aviation historian call him that.

Like I said damn good pilot, and I am sure in his own mind he though the was the best. That however is not necessarily a bad attribute to have as a fighter pilot, but it can also get your killed as well...;)

I have personally met some very modest ex fighter pilots, sadly no longer with us, who survived the war and where happy to fade if not into obscurity, then into a normal life.

The sort of arrogance exhibited by men like Galland or Bader is not a prerequisite for being a successful fighter pilot. Maybe this should be added to this thread as it is a myth and it never seems to die.

Cheers

Steve

I've known only one fighter pilot well, a cousin. But I have known several Cobra and Loach pilots, and they were the same.

Away from the cockpit their personalities varied, but when they got near or in that aircraft they changed.

I have the feeling that some of this 'arrogance' is deliberately cultivated by the various armed forces.
I have met several military personnel (all the peace-timers who did not see combat) and every one of them, to a man, believed that not only was he (it's always guys to date) trained to a level better than the expected opposition but that they would be fighting with better kit than the expected opposition.
Obviously there are instances of men who will take on missions knowing there are slim chances of getting back in one piece (or in the case of deterrent personnel having little to come back to if they were really called upon) but for the regular guys I doubt anyone sane could do the job unless they had a belief in their own survival.

It is also fair to say that of the previous generation(s) I have met that did see actual combat (all WW2) they were quite different in their attitudes.
They were much more reserved (maybe some of this comes from being on the winning side when the opposition is getting so desperate regarding trained units etc) I heard little in the way of 'pride' or bragging at what went on.
Clearly they all though getting rid of Hitler's gang was the right thing but in terms of the people they fought I heard a lot of regret and sadness at having to do what they did.
I'd also say that facing death by any manner (by freakish accident or through enemy action) as a regular possibility just around any corner would do that.

Talking about modesty, I remember watching a TV interview with Battle of Britain fighter pilot Bob Doe in which he very convincingly joked about what a hopeless fighter pilot he was. Bob Doe had 14 confirmed kills in the Battle of Britain.

Good is good. Great is great.
I have never heard any of the greats proclaim themselves as such. This includes Douglas Bader and Adolph Galland, as well as many others. When you have "been there and done that" you don't need to proclaim it. There is no need.
Others may say things about you, but when it comes right down to it, the greats don't give a rip one way or the other.
This is evident in everyday life. If you ever meet a "War Hero" that wants to tell you just how "Bad" he was, well, he probably was not. It happens all the time.
It is more than O.K. to be proud of your service, but I have never met a combat veteran that did not give credit to the guys that he served with over himself.
And that is the truth.

the ones that talk about it...let me rephrase that...the ones that use it for bragging rights or to make them look "HREOish"....are more than likely fakes. several months ago i got into a conversation with this guy and we start talking about life back in the 60s and 70s. he tells me what it was like to fight in Hue city during the Tet offensive. i knew he was older than me so didnt think anything of it until later on he tells me his age...i do the math real quick. tet was in 68...his age means he was born in 53....he was fighting in nam at 15. yeah right. years ago a guy told me how he jumped into cambodia on special operations....he was 2 years younger them me and i was not close to going to nam. i lose all respect for people to use that as their BS line. that is simply criminal...

The fly boys that ive known are all confident and to be honest, they need to be. the last thing you want is a flyer unsure of himself.

I dont know about this line between being self confident and being overconfident. In war time, my guess is that you have to have that sort of bravado. you have to believe in either yourself as being the greatest, or look to someone in your group as having that ability. Whatever keeps you alive and effective....It was a central plank in the experten system, and a major reason why the Soviets made it a point to go after the german experts. Shoot that guy down, and the group as a whole suffers an enormous crisis in confidence. I think it tended to hit the LW more than other air forces, because the whole system was based on the leaders doing most of the fighting. They led by example. I think it was abslutely the right approach. For them. As the war dragged on, the germans were less an less able to fill gaps with competent pilots. Theyt had to rely on an ever dwindling "few" to do the heavy lifting for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back