B-17 Pathfinder Memorial, Brome, Suffolk.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks to this site, I have embarked on ajourney since last October that led to an amazing series of "connections and coincidences" the first of these and the starting point for me, was the thread "B-17 crash Brome, Suffolk". Little did I know by answering this quest for information where it would lead us all! I answered Wendy's thread as I had recently dropped some books to fellow 8th AAF enthusiasts close to village of Brome. As it turned out, I was the only one who replied but as Wendy oftens quotes "Steve was the best one to answer"! My interest was also kindled by her connection, well her 95 year old fathers, who as a schoolboy on Long Island, New York, was friendly with Jack the Co Pilot. "Jacks Journey" started with joining the RCAF pre Pearl Harbour and eventually to do a tour of Ops with RAF 57Sqd at RAF Scampton based beside the famous "Dambusters" but these details and research were in the future. I next contacted Clive in Suffolk (I'm actually in the Liberator county of Norfolk) asking if he knew of the crash, to which he answered "I can see the site from my home office window"! This started the ball that was turning to roll in further, until ultimately the memorial scheme was hatched and became a runaway! There were too many twists and turns for this thread so I will add the recent podcast in the attachment to give more details and we produced a memorial booklet to accompany the unveiling and dedication (anyone wishing for a PDF copy message me, but bear with me, as we are still busy with various elements of the project)

So on a (luckily) fine and chilly morning of November the 10th this year, as near as possible to the exact time that B-17F 42-5793 crash, five relatives of the crew and numerous ones of the civilians, we unveiled a fitting memorial to the 17 souls who lost their lives that day in 1943, in the grounds of the Oaksmere Country House Hotel. Watch by around 200 fellow researchers, enthusiasts and locals. We did not forget the poor workhorse who lost their life that day either. When poignantly during the 2 minute silence, the sound of the hooves of a magnificent Suffolk Punch, heralded the entrance of Gifford down the avenue of Limes trees. As the attention of the gather crowd were on this beautiful creature, two young re enactors dressed in original 1943 flying suits appeared from the trees behind the memorial from the direction of the crash site!

An event like this isn't one person or even a committee it is the group effort of so many to put a lasting memorial to the sacrifices of those desperate days into the landscape to be remembered by future generations.

Lest We Forget

IMG_2151.jpeg
IMG_2153.jpeg
IMG_2116.png

Attachments

• fe4d24e1-95e9-4de1-9937-1fe8c1e2a542.jpeg
    fe4d24e1-95e9-4de1-9937-1fe8c1e2a542.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks to this site, I have embarked on ajourney since last October that led to an amazing series of "connections and coincidences" the first of these and the starting point for me, was the thread "B-17 crash Brome, Suffolk". Little did I know by answering this quest for information where it would lead us all! I answered Wendy's thread as I had recently dropped some books to fellow 8th AAF enthusiasts close to village of Brome. As it turned out, I was the only one who replied but as Wendy oftens quotes "Steve was the best one to answer"! My interest was also kindled by her connection, well her 95 year old fathers, who as a schoolboy on Long Island, New York, was friendly with Jack the Co Pilot. "Jacks Journey" started with joining the RCAF pre Pearl Harbour and eventually to do a tour of Ops with RAF 57Sqd at RAF Scampton based beside the famous "Dambusters" but these details and research were in the future. I next contacted Clive in Suffolk (I'm actually in the Liberator county of Norfolk) asking if he knew of the crash, to which he answered "I can see the site from my home office window"! This started the ball that was turning to roll in further, until ultimately the memorial scheme was hatched and became a runaway! There were too many twists and turns for this thread so I will add the recent podcast in the attachment to give more details and we produced a memorial booklet to accompany the unveiling and dedication (anyone wishing for a PDF copy message me, but bear with me, as we are still busy with various elements of the project)

So on a (luckily) fine and chilly morning of November the 10th this year, as near as possible to the exact time that B-17F 42-5793 crash, five relatives of the crew and numerous ones of the civilians, we unveiled a fitting memorial to the 17 souls who lost their lives that day in 1943, in the grounds of the Oaksmere Country House Hotel. Watch by around 200 fellow researchers, enthusiasts and locals. We did not forget the poor workhorse who lost their life that day either. When poignantly during the 2 minute silence, the sound of the hooves of a magnificent Suffolk Punch, heralded the entrance of Gifford down the avenue of Limes trees. As the attention of the gather crowd were on this beautiful creature, two young re enactors dressed in original 1943 flying suits appeared from the trees behind the memorial from the direction of the crash site!

An event like this isn't one person or even a committee it is the group effort of so many to put a lasting memorial to the sacrifices of those desperate days into the landscape to be remembered by future generations.

Lest We Forget

View attachment 748950View attachment 748951View attachment 748953
Hello Steve, I've just found your post after listening to the Mighty 8th Podcast about the pathfinder crash at Brome. I'd love a copy if the PDF you mentioned if possible. many thanks, Lynn

My name is John Anderson, and I am new to this forum. I was stationed with the U.S. Air Force Band of Europe in Germany in the 1970's. Each year, at about Memorial Day (formerly Decoration Day) the band would be in England and we would pay tribute to the airmen and women who gave their lives. It was always very touching, and the American Cemetery in Maddeningly was always so beautiful and peaceful. It was always such a powerful experience to walk among the graves of these brave soldiers and seamen who gave up their lives. On my last visit to England, I took my wife and said that she had to see this place. It was a beautiful autumn day, and we walked among the tombstones, the Wall of Remembrance and the chapel. I felt the need to do more than just being there, and so I took photographs of headstones and told myself that I would learn what these men (and women) had done for America and for England. One of the graves held the remains of a Sergeant, Amos Behl, who was from Yakima, Washington. Oddly, my great-grandfather had farmed nearby in an even smaller town. I found that Sgt. Behl was with the 813th Bomb Squadron, 482nd Bomb Group and was a turret gunner. On his final mission, he was aboard the B-17 that crashed in the cemetery in Brome. The report that I read said that what had caused the fire on board that was caused by the flares that the plane carried ( flares of different colors were carried to give various signals to control tower, etc). Apparently, one of the flares ignited and spread very quickly to engulf the cabin. The flares were stored near the top turret gun, and so this man would have been actively trying to extinguish the fire as quickly as possible. The pilot had very little time to try to turn around and he tried to "ditch" the plane where it would not hit any houses or other buildings. The cemetery would have been a place where they would crash without further casualties. They must have seen the road crew and tried to avoid them but at 150+ mph they didn't even have seconds to react, more like microseconds.
I am grateful for all the work that your group has done in building this memorial and remembering the airmen and civilians who perished in this crash.
Oh, and one tiny tidbit of information. Another reason I went there that day was to also pay tribute to the first commander of the 686th Air Force Band whose name is on the memorial wall. Major Alton G. Miller of New Jersey. He was also known as Glenn Miller.

Welcome to the Forum, John.A. Great post! If you have any photos to share, please post them.
Here are a few photos from my last trip to England in 2017
1. Headstone of Amos Behl, Technical Sergeant
2. Chapel at the American Cemetery Maddingly, England
3. My wife and myself at a pub on the south bank of the Thames, outside the Globe Theatre 2017
3. Cap with USAFE crest (same emblem as airmen wore during WWII)

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    990.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20170905_161404197.jpeg
    IMG_20170905_161404197.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back