B-17 Pilot’s/Co-Pilot’s Seat Stenciling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jennison

Airman
Apr 6, 2024
This B-17 seat was found in a scrap-pile on a French farm located between St Nazaire and Lorient. The seat was in pretty rough shape having been outside in the pile for decades. On the left side of the seat are the remnants of black stenciling. "A.F." can be made out, but what comes after is tough. Any ideas? Also, is there a definitive way to tell if this is the left or right seat?

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• DSC_0237.jpeg
    DSC_0237.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0233.jpeg
    DSC_0233.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0238.jpeg
    DSC_0238.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0239.jpeg
    DSC_0239.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
Not sure what would have been stenciled after, but there should be another A in front: "A.A.F."
Depending on model of B-17 this same seat was used for Radio Operator so you have at least three possibilities of installation.

Thanks, but isn't the outside back of the RO's seat different than the flight deck seats?

It depends on the model. I'd have to look up to confirm but I think E and early F had a different Radio seat.
There were armor plates on the flight deck seats but those weren't attached to the seat itself.
There was a period where Radio seat had an armor plate as well.

This seat has on the base the sliders and the original springs which fit with it being mounted on the A-frame that was used for pilot and co pilot seat. The WOPS seats in the ealry models were not on an A- frame and were I thought on a rotating base.

Here's the back of a RO's seat. Notice the reinforced slots for the cushion hooks, reinforced base, and lack of those horizontal attachment strips. I'm far, far, from an expert, but every RO seat I've looked at looks like this. All the B-17 Flight deck seats I've seen have the attachment strips and there is no reinforcing of the hook slots or base. As Mr. Freer points out, the base attachment points are also different. There could be other differences as well.
All that said, I'm hoping not to be led in this direction as I was asking about the stenciling on the seat, and whether there's a way to tell if this is the left or right seat. Based on where the stenciling is, I'd bet against there having been an "A.A.F". Looks more like just an "A.F." followed by illegible stenciling.

Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0231.jpeg
    DSC_0231.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0232.jpeg
    DSC_0232.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread