B-17F Part from France, but what is it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jennison

Airman
Apr 6, 2024
Here's another part, this one from a wreck in France. I wish I had more facts about the Ship, but I don't, at least not yet. The piece was given to me by a renowned B-17 author ( who wrote on the B-17's role in WWII, not technical stuff) so I feel a little bit confident it isn't from a Citroen. But, one never knows until one knows.

Thanks for any help!

Jennison

Attachments

• 20240412_173528.jpeg
    20240412_173528.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240412_173538.jpeg
    20240412_173538.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
It's for adjusting the tension of flight control cables ( and other cables) then secured with the jamb nuts and or safety wire. If you can still make out the threads on the rod ends (pin forks) one should have standard right hand treads, and the opposite one should have left hand threads.

Thanks very much. Do you know of any image in the available parts diagrams showing this style of turnbuckle? I couldn't find it in the B-17G manual (I figured whether an E or G wouldn't matter) but neither am I adept at such research.

Jennison

In the E model catalog, go to Standard Parts and on the first page.... The barrel is an AN155 and the forks are AN161's. The only place that indicates a usage of AN161's is for one aileron control cable. As there are a number of cables within that system, but only one of that set, I suspect that it's used to tension the system.

A set consisting of 2 each AN161's and an AN155 barrel is also known as an AN150 assembly.

I'd posted about this earlier, but I can't for the life of me find that post for some reason. I appreciate the comments and the identification as a turnbuckle. Anyway, I've taken a couple of much better photos of it. In its condition, I haven't yet located any part numbers, but there is the letter "A" on the barrel. Is there any significance to that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5009.jpeg
    IMG_5009.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5008.jpeg
    IMG_5008.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5007.jpeg
    IMG_5007.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 2
No problemo. :)

If you want to find your posts just use the magnifying-glass icon at the top forum bar at the right corner. Click it. You will find there a line "By" where you should type your nick or of the other forum members. Also you may enter a key-word you look for. Then hit the "Search" button. The new page is opened with the list of all your or a member mentioned in the query , posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back