BARE METAL MADE EASY!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's probably the same, or at least similar stuff. I'm waiting for delivery of the tubs I ordered, but a Police friend told me the stuff from SNJ was very similar to the finger print powder they use and, comparing it, it did look the same, and 'smudged' on paper, the same as shown in the article. It may be that SNJ is slightly more 'silver', but it's still aluminium anyway. I can't remember the weight/volume of the stuff I've ordered, but it was a bigger tub than the small SNJ bottle, and costs just over £2.00 per tub (about $3.50 US per tub.).
I've also been told, by a jeweler, that the SNJ is very similar to silver-polishing powder, the stuff they use when polishing silver jewelry or other silver items.

10 years since Metallics have been discussed.
Since "I" have just discovered SMS paints, and there are so many metallics which I want to use on "Stinky" and GB62.
I have done the first tests of SMS metallics (the whole bowl) and (2 coats) of Tamiya Gloss Clear (front half of bowl).
The most surprising is the #20 Lead and Tam clear as the the brightness of the Lead color.......... hmmmm.
I threw in Tamiya Mica Silver, front part is Tam clear coated as well, hardly any change.
Seeing the results here, and the fact SMS kinda soaked up the Tamiya clear, I will be doing the same but with SMS clears.
This photo was done under my workbench lighting, but does show the clear line mid bowl. Now to get some SMS clears.
SMS metalics _ Tamiya clear test.jpg

Having just discovered this thread, Terry's article is very instructive. Not building plastics for decades, this procedure is fascinating. Way back, just after the middle of the last century, I used a product sold in the hobby shop called Rub N Buff. It came in a tube and was a gooey paste, which was rubbed on, then buffed with a soft cloth. I kept my models in a wall case with glass shelves and the only difficulty was if people handled the model, it would tarnish and need a touch up buff, eventually if handled too often and rebuffed, a bit of new application might be needed over the thinned area. I wonder if anyone has used Rub N Buff in the old days, and is it still available. If my faulty memory is accurate, the product was made for the jewelry industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back