Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The battle damaged tail of a B-17 Flying Fortress of the 305th Bomb Group
17m.jpg

Some threads in this forum are old enough to be almost forgotten, but I hope this is only temporary.
In this particular thread I found a photo of a crashed B-25 with a slightly improbable:cool: explanation - the a/c landed without a tail - see here.
This is the photo in question:
340th B-25 after crash with No. 49 from 12th BG.jpg

I posted a photo of the same crashed a/c in a different thread (when discussing the name "Double Trouble" being very popular during WWII). It was from the 488th BS., 340th BG.:
B-25 Double Trouble from 488th BS. after crash with No. 49 from 12th BG-2.jpg

Geo already found the answer to the "mistery" from a site with many WWII photos and the following text:
North American B-25D Mitchell bomber with part of the fuselage, from the insignia (Star-in-Circle) to the tail, and part of a wing missing after a collision. Servicemen appear to be salvaging parts. 340th ship after collision with #49 at Sfax." Sfax, Tunisia. 1943
O.K. Case closed.
Why do I need to revive the old thread? Here's the answer:
Because there was a second B-25 involved in the above mentioned collision - #49.
Here she is, a B-25 C-1 s/n 41-13237 from the 12th BG.:
No. 49 B-25C-1 s_n 41-13237 after crash.jpg

No. 49 B-25C-1 s_n 41-13237 after crash-.jpg

We all know this "Mitchell" from a popular photo ("A plane with 6 shadows"):
No. 49 B-25C-1 s_n 41-13237.png

And here's a description of the crash by a crew member of #49:
No. 49 crash description.jpg

So no magic at all: the one plane was on the ground, the other one was landing and hit it.

The same accident is described in the diary of Sgt. Sidney Christophersen, 434th BS., 12th BG., published in Air & Space Magazine, August 2017
(Sergeant Sidney Christophersen's diary resides at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Riverside, Ohio.) Partially published here.

April 26 ....
Later, two ships did get together, one 340th ship coming in on one engine on the cross runway and 49 coming in on the other runway collided. 49 tried to go up at the last instant but did not clear. Both ships a total loss. A miracle that no one was seriously injured....

Cheers!
P.S. Because nobody asked or mentioned it, here's some more. As you will find out, the photo of the crashed a/c in the article Oh!Oh! and the first photo differ - this is not the same plane! Yes indeed - just check the damage around the fuselage insignia! The publishers of the article described the correct accident (#49 from the 12th BG. and another "Mitchell" from the 340th BG.), but got the wrong photo. This is a different crash, the second a/c without tail is #59 from the 12th BG.:
No. 59 crash.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back