Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:lol: :lol:

I'm a full 1/4 Irish, fly for the Fighting Irish Virtual squadron, and will take that as a compliment to Irish resilience! ;)

And to keep things on track, I'm going to agree with Oleanna. It makes sense that the Japanese would have good naval aircraft, as the majority of their ops were over or near water

But then, the American's delivered pretty well in the Pacific also :)

The British have got the Mossie, which caused havoc in the North sea for the Kriegsmarine. With it's 57mm cannon it could do significant damage to the cargo vessels.

Best naval fighter, I'd say Zero. Although it was matched late war, and the Japanese George was better than it, the Zero lasted all war which is a great feat.

The Americans had the Hellcats and Corsairs, which could match the Japs, and did great jobs in stopping the bomber formations.

British weren't really in need of Naval aircraft as much as America or Japan. For a start the Germans didn't have any since the only Aircraft carrier they had was only 80% complete. And they had good land based fighters that could reach out from Britain. Apart from that the Seafire was a good Naval aircraft but it never really got to show it's worth against Japanese aircraft.

If you are thinking of the Japanese plane then you're thinking of the 'Magnificent Lightning' but that wasn't a Naval plane either...and it came too late in the war to see service ;)

Also I think the Corsair was an excellent plane and most definately faster than the Zero but the Zero was smaller and more agile - also it was pretty much the only Japanese fighter that was particularly effective during the war - it was far more useful to the Japanese anyway than the Corsair was to the US -after all they already had excellent naval fighters in the shapes of the Wild/Hellcat

:bluepirate:

Crazy said:
Welcome back Corp! Haven't seen you in a while :)

My prolonged absence is due to real life problems my wife and I are having (not with each other, however!). We had to give up our computer, which means that I can only get online at our local public library. This limits my access. So I will only be able to pop in here intermittently.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
whereas the Shiden could kick any U.S. fighter's ass!!!!!!!

Horse feathers! The Shiden could indeed, in the hands of a skilled pilot, take a Grumman Hellcat, but a Corsair or a Mustang was another proposition. Given that the Shiden had a lot of engine problems, any assumed superiority must be taken with a grain of salt.

Not nessasarily - i've never thought the Hellcat was that much cop - the yanks had better naval planes than that (i.e the Corsair) 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back