Best parasol or high-mounted wing fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Helps to be able to land not needing the Skills of Eric Brown?
Eric Brown was touching down at 105mph.
Once he went to idle setting on the engine during the approach the pilot was committed. Idle gate was selected when the pilot was sure of not undershooting. Approach speed was 125mph. The engine would not respond in time (spool up) for a go round if the pilot overshot the runway.
According to Brown the brakes were better than typical German (which normally was bad) but not up to task of stopping the plane without a lot of runway.
BTW it took a full minute to pump the flaps down.

For those who know….

Flown this one OBTW.

Attachments

• IMG_9139.jpeg
    IMG_9139.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 18
That speed has never been reached in the flight...
IS-2 made four test flights, but you are right - seems, that the maximum speed was not measured. I saw a value of 593 km/h for estimated top speed in one source, so I assumed 588 km/h were achieved in flight, but this has not been confirmed by more reliable sources. I apologize for the inaccurate information.

P.S. There are good reasons to believe, that the IS-2 was capable of reaching 570 km/h at least - if the engine was working reliably. Anyway, this sophisticated airplane was rather an archaism than a fruitful idea.

Does anyone understand why parasol / top wing seemed to often impede speed / performance in WW2 aircraft? or is it just a coincidence?

It seems like this Bill Barnes guy (or whoever the artist really was) would have been a great aircraft designer... !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back