Between wars engine documents

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MiTasol

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2012
Aw flaming stralia
While trying to find an on line source of pages missing from one of my RAF prewar manuals I came across this sales brochure for the Bliss Jupiter motor - which turns out to be a US licence built Bristol Jupiter. Also found an RAF Liberty manual which will go in the RAF engines thread once I process that.

The Jupiter engine was widely built in a number of countries and some of that is reflected in the brochure, along with far more technical info than you will find in later sales brochures.

Being a Gobble scan it had all the problems that go with documents that are scanned by people to who fall into the category it is just a job and I don't give a sh*t about quality.

I do not know the original page size so I just took the maximum page size in the set of scans as my guide.

I fixed the usual Gobble scan problems, other than low resolution, as best I could. I am still working on the cover.

1693894389258.png
1693894335670.png
1693895295295.png
1693896830702.png

This sort of sh*t is annoying as this means the scanning person moved the page before the scan was complete - fixing it means finding the same words elsewhere in the same document and then doing a cut and paste. Photos and diagrams have to be extracted then squared then reinserted. All because the operator did not give a ****. A reason why I prefer to work with my own documents and scans.

I found some of the missing pages for the other manuals and the scanner operator was too lazy to open out the folded pages so they are totally useless,

Attachments

• Jupiter Radial Engine sales brochure ww2 OCR.pdf
    16 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Perfectly true, some people don't work in a "result" mind.

But many, many thanks for your work (s) !!!!!!!!

A couple of clips from Wikipedia on the Jupiter engine. Bristol Jupiter - Wikipedia

By 1929 the Bristol Jupiter had flown in 262 different aircraft types,[13] it was noted in the French press at that year's Paris Air Show that the Jupiter and its license-built versions were powering 80% of the aircraft on display.[14]

Licensed production

The Jupiter saw widespread use in licensed versions, with fourteen countries eventually producing the engine. In France, Gnome-Rhone produced a version known as the Gnome-Rhône 9 Jupiter that was used in several local civilian designs, as well as achieving some export success. Siemens-Halske took out a licence in Germany and produced several versions of increasing power, eventually resulting in the Bramo 323 Fafnir, which saw use in German wartime aircraft.[6]

In Japan, the Jupiter was license-built from 1924 by Nakajima, forming the basis of its own subsequent radial aero-engine design, the Nakajima Ha-1 Kotobuki.[7] It was produced in Poland as the PZL Bristol Jupiter, in Italy as the Alfa Romeo 126-RC35,[8] and in Czechoslovakia by Walter Engines. The most produced version was in the Soviet Union, where its Shvetsov M-22 version powered the initial Type 4 version of the Polikarpov I-16 (55 units produced). Type 4 Polikarpovs can be identified by their lack of exhaust stubs, rounded NACA cowling and lack of cowling shutters, features which were introduced on the Shvetsov M-25 powered Type 5 and later variants (total production 4,500+ units).[9][10] Production started in 1918 and ceased in 1930.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back