Can anyone identify the unit of this Japanese aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all of the replies. There is another photo of an aircraft showing the same markings. I'm not sure,but it may be Tachikawa KKY-2 Aikoku 241. I don't know if this will help at all in narrowing down the unit,only if it is known with which unit this aircraft served.Though I suspect after reading Shinpachi's response that possibly a fuller answer may not be forthcoming. Anyway here is the photo,not great,but if my id is correct an unusual type with an unusual marking.

aik241.jpg

Regards,

Clint

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very much agree. Thanks to Shinpachi,already I now know significantly more than when I posted the first photo. A star. Tbh I always thought that the second aircraft was the KKY-2,but best to be cautious and leave open space for doubt. As I say the key bit with the KKY-2 is hopefully,it is known with which unit the machine flew and we can then identify the unit of both aircraft.Given that it was an Aikoku machine hopefully this helps.For anyone interested there are more photos of #241 here

Clint

Great discovery :thumbright:

愛国241(女学生) = Aikoku 241 (Jogakusei) = Patriot 241st (by Girls Students Union)

Dedicated to the army as a patients transport plane on June 28, 1939.
Developed as KKY-2 by Ishikawajima-harima Heavy Industries based on Tachikawa KS communication plane in 1938.
Mainly deployed in Manchuria and China.
Looks like given to the headquarters.

Very much agree. Thanks to Shinpachi,already I now know significantly more than when I posted the first photo. A star. Tbh I always thought that the second aircraft was the KKY-2,but best to be cautious and leave open space for doubt. As I say the key bit with the KKY-2 is hopefully,it is known with which unit the machine flew and we can then identify the unit of both aircraft.Given that it was an Aikoku machine hopefully this helps.For anyone interested there are more photos of #241 here

Clint
Many unseen pictures on that site. Wow!

Hello,

Returning again to the mystery unit markings on the Ki-30 and KKY-2 I have had a helpful suggestion off board,though purely speculative that the 3 bladed propeller and 6 pointed star might,very much stress night, represent the markings of Hiko Dai 36 Sentai. Now as you will all know there is no markings for that unit in Peter Scott's Emblems of the Rising Sun. Is any marking already known for Hiko Dai 36 Sentai ?

Regards,

Clint

OK, a bit of an oversight on my part. I wasn't aware that 36 was a missing number. But then Ki-36 ?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Based on some written data, it looks a Type 97 transporter (Ki-34) which belonged to IJA Southern Air Transportation Division (南方航空輸送部). The first photo would have been taken in Singapore on January 1, 1943, celebrating the New Year. Here are another photos of the unit.

View attachment 776803
Source: 飛行機写真 2枚 97式輸送機 戦前陸軍航空隊 中島AT-2「中古」の落札価格|その他|Yahoo!オークション(旧ヤフオク!) 落札相場- オークファン(aucfan.com)

Thanks once again Shinpachi.

I'm intrigued by your mention of written data and would like to know more. Could you please expand on the details leading you to identifying the Ki-34 as belonging to the Southern Air Transport Division.

Rgeards,

Clint

IJA Southern Air Transportation Division (南方航空輸送部) was organized based on IJA AT Transportation Unit(AT輸送隊) which was composed of Nakajima AT-2 passenger planes in July 1942. This division covered the South West Pacific passenger routes with the headquarters in Singapore. Pilots were civilians from air liners in Japan, Manchuria and China. Started with 46 aircraft but the number did not exceed 120 through the wartime. Planned number was 450.

Aircraft as of September, 1942
Type 97 transporter(AT-2) : 7 + 18 (from other unit)
MC-20 : 5
Lockheed 14W-G3 : 9
Type 97 heavy bomber (passenger version) : 6 + 1 (from other unit)

Routes
159.jpg

Source: History of Air Transportation in Japan till 1945 (1975)

Thanks. Interesting material.

Looking at the first photo of the Ki-34 I posted has prompted some thinking aloud on my part. Never a good idea I suspect

Thought 1. Looking at the airman's clothing he seems to be dressed for somewhere colder than Singapore. China for example.

Thought 2. Like the Ki-30 and KKY-2 photos earlier in this thread,again we see a three bladed propeller,albeit on a different background. I can't alas remember if this photo is from the same seller,but it is quite possible. That seller is from China.

Thought 3. Is theKi-34 from a different component of the same unit that flew the Ki-30 and KKY-2, with various components having unit markings with the three balded propeller on different geometrical backgrounds.

All speculation,but worth a thought I think.

Regards,

Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back