Canadian CF-104s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildr1

Senior Airman
Mar 4, 2016
CF-104-1a.jpg
CF-104-2a.jpg
CF-104-3a.jpg

Sitting on top of an ejector seat is so wrong, I don't know where to start.
Look again. He's not sitting on the seat back, but on the canopy rail. And notice it's an AF style seat with no face curtain firing system to get tangled in. Probably has armrest triggers like the early seats did.
Cheers,
Wes

Look again. He's not sitting on the seat back, but on the canopy rail. And notice it's an AF style seat with no face curtain firing system to get tangled in. Probably has armrest triggers like the early seats did.
Cheers,
Wes
You have far more confidence in the seat than I would, I am very confident if that seat went off he would be well on the way to hospital.

As an aside, I know that European F104's were modified with Martin Baker Seats, do you know if that applied to Canadian ones?

Canadian CF-104s retained the original seat.
Danish (ex-RCAF) F-104s and Luftwaffe F-104G had the MB seat retro-fitted (I think also the Italian F-104), and the Dutch F-104s retained the original seat.

I know that European F104's were modified with Martin Baker Seats, do you know if that applied to Canadian ones?
I don't know, but the seat in the picture doesn't look like any Martin-Baker I ever saw. All the ones I saw had tall headrests with face curtain handles projecting out over the pilot's helmet.
And no, you wouldn't be in hospital, you'd be decapitated and fried. The sustainer rockets would go off right over you, but you wouldn't notice because your head would be in the seat bucket.
Cheers,
Wes

As Terry mentioned above, RCAF aircraft retained the original Lockheed C2 ejection seats
IIRC, wasn't that a downward ejector? In that case it would have a squat switch interlock, wouldn't it? Maybe not as risky as it looks.
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back