CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The first captured Zero...

Captured Zero.jpg

I wasn't sure as well. But I've believed the caption it was the Aleutian Zero.

The Wiki Tante says... The Akutan Zero, also known as Koga's Zero and the Aleutian Zero, was a type 0 model 21 Mitsubishi A6M Zero Japanese fighter plane that crash-landed on Akutan Island, Alaska Territory, during World War II. It was captured intact by the Americans in July 1942 and became the first flyable Zero acquired by the United States during the war.

More info there...

Akutan Zero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To be honest, I don't think much was done with Nishikaichi's A6m.

If you look at the wreckage of his aircraft after he set it on fire, there's still plenty of it to examine for information. But from what I understand, it was left there for quite some time, eventually being hauled off to a museum long after it deteriorated.

Nishikaichi_A6M.jpg

an intersting mix of people in the pic, some navy, some civilian I'm quessing and one wearing what looks like a french helmet but I'm thinking another civilian? and an old style brit helmet. Or would that be a Candian or brit?

Early in the war, U.S. military had the British style helmet. You'll see them worn in photos from the Pearl Harbor attack and the the battle in the Phillippines.

The guy wearing the helmet seen in the far right of the photo looks to be wearing an old style "hard hat" worn by shoreman, loggers and construction workers in the U.S. and Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back