Crash Relic ID help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jennison

Airman
Apr 6, 2024
Hi: I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what this part is. It is from an antique store in Old Portsmouth, England. The part in question is mounted to a wooden base and the display looks rather old. There's a tag affixed to the base, only some of which is still legible. It reads:
"…[illegible]…Engine Flying Fortress crashed in sea off Pet Level"

Any educated guesses even, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,
Jennison

Attachments

• IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4873.jpeg
    IMG_4873.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2
Yes,
That looks to be the distributor/points cam from an American Bosch SB9RU Magneto that could be from a Pratt and Whitney R-1830 on a B-24.
Below should be a pic from the History of Delco-Remy website with this part within a mag on a cutaway 1830.

Attachments

• engine-1830-tristatewarbirdmuseum-2020-107w-5.jpg
    engine-1830-tristatewarbirdmuseum-2020-107w-5.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Yes,
That looks to be the distributor/points cam from an American Bosch SB9RU Magneto that could be from a Wright R-1820 on a B-17.
Below should be a pic from the History of Delco-Remy website with this part within a mag on a cutaway 1820.
Thank you. You guys really are amazing. Knowing nothing about engines, I actually saw that photo myself when trying to find more info (after mjfur's answer rolled in). I'm honestly trying really hard to self-help! That said, I believe the article states the engine is a Pratt & Whitney R-1830. So my narrowed down question is, did Wright use American Bosch magnetos?

Boy, it's amazing how these crashed planes managed to shake loose such bolted down and tucked away parts like that. And, this particular ship supposedly hit the drink and not hard ground (although, I suppose it could have been scavenged by someone with a wrench…)

Thank you!!!

Yes,
I took that pic to be the 1820 but it should be the P&W R-1830. So that takes us back to the parent aircraft, which is more likely a B-24 or Catalina or some DC3/C47 and loads of others!
The aircraft type is impossible to be precise, but it is definitely that part from that type of Magneto.

Eng

Well, thank you. It is interesting nonetheless. I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

As a side note to the ident, Pett Level, and the surrounding area in East Sussex record several B17 crash sites both offshore and around the marsh and farmland in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back