Development of camouflage....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Who did most for the development of camouflage in WWII, uniforms etc., was it Germany, how much did get out there and how much did never leave the drawingboard?

"... Khaki "

An Urdu word from India, IIRC

MM

Certainly one of the Indian languages. I've seen it variously translated as dust or soil coloured which is pretty self explanatory in terms of camouflage.

Not to be confused with Khazi (which may or may not have a Zulu derivation) which is something entirely different :)

Steve

Or with the Khasi of Khalabar which out to (but doesn't) lead into the old joke about the shoemakers who provided the Khasi with his shoes and, sadly, advertised themselves with the sign 'Cobblers to the Khasi'.

But we digress.

Treading on potentially delicate ground, were the excellent Portugese regiments who operated in support of Lord Wellesley in the Peninsula War not known as 'Cacadores' and dressed in brown uniforms? Highly thought of by their British colleagues as befits Britain's oldest allies.

But still we digress from WW2.

Last edited:
Khaki....................... dusty.

When the British wore red coats in the desert and got dirty they were more difficult to see, and started making Khaki color uniforms. IIRC

It could have been Robin Hood, with his 'cloth of Lincoln Green' ..................

Just to confirm my pedantry qualifications: the Lincoln 'Green' was actually Lincoln 'Grain'. A red colour from Kermes insects imported possibly from Poland. The purpose in the legend was to infer the success of Robin Hood's men (that great Yorkshireman from the forest of Barnsely) by showing them dressed in the most expensive colour. This was the same reason as Cardinals wore red and the Virgin Mary's clothes were in red in the early days of european painting, until the Venetians began to import lapis lazuli blue from Afghanistan which was beautiful and even more expensive than red paint pigments.

But perhaps I digress from WW2?

Did I mention that I once had lunch with the Sheriff of Nottingham in his modest bungalow just off the ring road?

Last edited:
Well, well! So the cloth wasn't green at all! And all this time I thought old Robin had used his noggin, and outfitted his Combat Group .... er, band of merry men, with an early form of DPM! And they were 'merry', I suppose, due to all that mead! Merry? P*ssed as a parrot more like!

I understand that we Americans had bad luck with camouflage during WWII. If I remember correctly, some marines were issued forest camo in the pacific, but the pattern faded quickly and soon became more visible than khakis.

The Germans wore camouflage. When some American troops were issued forest camos they kept coming under friendly fire. I guess that it is better to be seen by the enemy than being killed by friends.

For me the Italians were the gods of camouflage when I see the way they painted their aircraft.

For me the Italians were the gods of camouflage when I see the way they painted their aircraft.
What aircraft? Oh, wait a minute. That explains why I never see anything when members post photos of Italian aircraft.:p

What aircraft? Oh, wait a minute. That explains why I never see anything when members post photos of Italian aircraft.:p

Are you are having a tin bath? you must have seen pictures of camouflaged Italian aircraft before? What aircraft? Just do a google image search for sm79, mc2000, Fiat CR42 or just about any other WW2 pre-armistice Italian Aircraft and you will see that they are mostly painted in three colour camouflage schemes.

Last edited:
Pattle, it was a joke ...

(not seeing aircraft because they were camouflaged)
Kris
What he said.
I merely intended to take your valid comment about the excellent camouflage and blow it up to a humorously absurd level - invisible aircraft. I guess it was not as humorous as I thought.:(

Sometimes my jokes are much funnier to me than to anyone else. Sorry, I meant no disrespect.

One of the earliest accounts of camouflage was Julius Caesar's scout ships, used during the Gallic Wars (about 54 b.c.), when they were painted "Venetian Blue" for scouting the British coast. The crews aboard (sailors and marines) were uniformed in the same blue-green color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back