**** DONE: 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Vb Floatplane – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Charles, and that prop looks the business! I agree with Wojtek - the rudder and ventral fin look fine.

Just finished adding the inner wing fairings. These are made of light cardboard (e.i. cereal box). The plans include a template, and, to my surprise, fit very well. After they were dry I put several coats of clear dope on them, then a couple coats of the light gray I'm using as a primer. Going to try to get the undersides painted with Model Masters "sky" today, too.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2371.JPG
    DSC_2371.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_2372.JPG
    DSC_2372.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 211
Great work Charles!

Looks like your upper wing roundels may have over-large red centres (and lowers should be Blue/ White/ Red).
What's the outer diameter? Maybe I or someone else has correct ones for you.

Great work Charles!

Looks like your upper wing roundels may have over-large red centres (and lowers should be Blue/ White/ Red).
What's the outer diameter? Maybe I or someone else has correct ones for you.

The wing roundels are 52 mm. I thought mine were correct..

Can someone point me to where I can get the correct decals ?

Charles

Checking sources, and by my calculations you'll be wanting either 31.8 or 33.9 mm (30 or 32 inch respectively) Type C lower wing roundels, and 57 mm Type B upper wing roundels.

Largest Type Bs I have (working 1:72) are only 39 mm, lower wing roundels to almost correct size (at 29.5 mm), but earlier Type As, so I'm no help sorry...

These are the correct Types B and C roundels you're after anyway (your fueslage C1s should be okay by the looks):

STA52894.JPG

Last edited:
I agree with Evan. You need the RAF roundel B type for wing tops, the C type for underwings and the C1 for fuselage sides. However if you look at the image of the EP751 in post #19 the top wing roundel on the starboard wing looks like it was smaller than the standard marking and the red centre would be of a little bit larger diameter comparing to the standard RAF marking.

Anyway here you are dimensions of all standard roundel types you might use....

The B upper wing one - diameter n= 56" (1422mm) or 40" (1016mm) for its variation. The red centre diameter was 2/5n
The C for undersides - diameter n= 32" (813mm). The red centre diameter 3/8n. The white circle 1/2n
The C1 for fuselage sides - diameter n= 36" (914mm). The diameter of the red centre 1/3n. The white one 4/9n. The diameter of the blue circle 8/9n

OK, I understand. Now what year roundels am I looking for .... 1943 ??? Anyone know an on-line source for the correct decals ?

Oh.... got the undersides masked and painted with Model Masters' "sky" enamel. Maybe get the lighter colour (sea gray) done tomorrow.

Working on the cannon, tonight.

Charles

Wow Charles you're moving along swiftly now and what a magnificent looking machine it's going to be.

Sadly am unable to help with the decals as you're a 1/24 scale which is way out of my model range. I'd be scouring the net to see what comes up.

Wow Charles you're moving along swiftly now and what a magnificent looking machine it's going to be.

Sadly am unable to help with the decals as you're a 1/24 scale which is way out of my model range. I'd be scouring the net to see what comes up.

I found two sources for the correct decals. One in Japan and the other in Poland. Sent Wojtek a PM to see if his mate at a hobby shop can help. The decals are made by "Techmod" and the sheet is number 24001.

BTW, cannons are made, but not installed.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back