**** DONE: 1/48 BF 109 F4 - Mediterranean Theatre of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username Tigerdriver
Name Dave
Category Beginner
Scale 1:48
Manufacturer Revell ( ex ICM )
Aftermarket Nothing planned

Last edited by a moderator:
This model will be well known steed of Hans Jochim Marseille from the Revell rebox of the old ICM kit . The build will be a basic OOB jobbie with the decals supplied ( hopefully )

Rev_Bf109F-4_cover.jpg

I managed to pick up the kit for less than a tenner so I thought I would give it a go as extra practice while i decide how to fix the beau and source some decals .

I am sure Marseiile is well know to most, the highest scoring Luftwaffe Ace against western allied aircraft with a tally of 158 kills. It seems he was quite a pilot and quite a character too.

The kit has mixed reviews, a brief glance when i opened the post made it look ok but there are stories of some fit issues with the engine cowls as the option is given to pose them oopen. I will investigate with some test fitting as I dont plan to show the engine .

I rather like the unusual plain scheme or rlm79 and 78 for a change and it gives me a chance of a clean finish with no mottling to mess up !!

Bf109F-4_Gelbe14_Ma_JG27_kl96.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Dave.
There are some minor areas around the engine cowlings which are slightly tricky, but with careful planning and attention, it shouldn't be a major problem to align and fix, even omitting the engine, and it's nowhere near as bad as made out in some reviews.
From memory though, some minor surgery may be required at the wing joints and/or wheel bays, in order to get the wings to fit properly, and the antenna mast is virtually bang-on scale, so very fragile, and could melt when glued, as well as being a problem if trying to attach an antenna wire - I have yet to fit a replacement to my otherwise finished model.
Karl (Rochie) and Andy (Crimea River) have more recent experience of the same kit, so could possibly advise. It's a year or two since I built mine, so I'd have to dig back through my photos to try to remember what was needed.
At least, being a Revell re-boxing, the decals should be much better than the original ICM examples, and overall, it's a very nice kit.

This is my ICM 109 build Dave: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-13-your-favorite-aircraft-of-all-time/1-48-bf109f-4-steinhoff-favorite-aircraft-time-gb-31793.html

I'm not sure what parts are included in your Revell kit since the box says F-2/4. You'll need to be sure that if you're building the F-4, you'll likely want the round wheel wells. Your profile does show the reinforcing strips on the tail section but others don't. A quick look at available pics does seem to back up that they were indeed present on that rig.

Your issues with fit will center around making sure that all the nose pieces are glued on straight and I show how I did that. Also, I found the bottom of the firewall stuck down too far and prevented the lower wing section from closing onto the fuselage. Trimming is needed here.

A tricky build and, if the optional parts are all there, don't hesitate to ask if you're not sure what pieces to use.

Good stuff Andy, I thought you'd remember what was needed, yours being much more recent than mine.
Dave, it's not as bad, or as tricky as it sounds. Take it a step at a time, checking for fit or interference, and you'll soon see what's needed and where, and be able to sort it.
As long as you test fit, test fit, test fit, before touching the cement, you'll be fine.

So my kit has round wheel wells which makes life rather easier . I have splashed a bit of interior paint and have spent a few hours trimming sanding and test fitting. Its odd the kit seems accurately made but some odd design decisions and the lack of location pins make it so so easy to go wrong

I am trying to learn my lesson, take my time and ponder before i reach for the glue

Pics to follow although Andy Terry and Karls build have shown it all better than I can

So, as per the Beau thread my dad being in hospital this past month has rather removed all my free time. I have been plodding along patiently with the BF

In a way having to try and sort out the troublesome nose in 10 min bursts or 20 mins of sanding here and there has been a good thing, sort of therapeutic and teaching me a valuable lesson in going slow. Wish it was a lesson i was learning for different reasons mind

The nose is sort of together now thanks to the advice on here, they sure didn't make it shake and bake . Wings on ok too. Close to a little colouring in when time allows

I will try and grab a couple of pics , sorry for the lack of detail in the updates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back