**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G6 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Username: dneid
First name: Dale
Category: Intermdeiate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard
Model Type: Bf 109 G-6
Aftermarket addons: I may get some brass barrels for the various weapons. EagleCal decals (see post #4). Scratch building as needed (if any).

Box Art GB23 declaration.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm that's a tough one? You are right, info on Surau is rather limited it's certainly probable it is the same aircraft as used on the Eastern front, but it is also possible they were issued new aircraft upon there return? I don't know of any pics of the JG3 aircraft on the Eastern front as shown with the eye marking.

Ok, guys,
I think I have a marking set figured out. I found a set of EagleCals decals that include 2 sets of markings for Hartmann and a single set for Elias Kuhlein. I am going with Kehlein's bird as I like the eyes on the cannon bulges and everyone does Hartmann's bird. Looks like I will get to really push my airbrush skills with this one. To further the challenge, I just might shift to Vallejo acrylics as well. Not 100% certain I will for this bird, but I am going to shift to Vallejos by the end of the year. No more self-induced, petro-chemical highs for me!

Notes on the bird:
Flown by Oberfahnrich Elias Kehlein, Staffelkapitan 4./JG51 from Nisch Airfield Yugoslavia. A variation of this colorful Bf 109 G-6 as it was decorated slightly before the well know version of Kehlein's "White 7". Short antenna mast, DF loop, and FuG 25a antennas intact. Revi 16 B gunsight. ETC rack abd drop tank. Galland style late armor plate.

Elias Kuhlein Bf 109 G-6.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, I really like these markings. I was worried I would be forced into a Hartmann bird. Glad I found these. I will build a Hartmann bird sometime. I just prefer to find those "different" guys and model their birds. I think this one really fits the bill.
One thing I did find on the Eduard kit is that the muzzle flash cones seem to look like they are a short shot in the molding. I decided to order a set of model master barrels and a pitot tube. I will reach out to Eduard to ask for more barrels just to see how good their customer support is. I will keep you all posted on that.

Last edited:
Do let us know on the customer service Dale. I tried it once several years ago but came up dry. There was a guy here from Eduard a while ago who offered a link for help but I haven't seen him since.

OMG! You're not actually (gulp) gonna BUILD the Eduard kit, are you? I thought it was only good for waving about while standing on top of a soapbox...

That was an attempt at humor, BTW. Place tongue in cheek. Wiggle it a little (say that really fast and it'll make you giggle).

Can't wait to see this build!

Ok, I started spraying the various interior pieces tonight. Talking with Don about highlighting the RLM66. I am not sure black will help that much given how dark RLM66 is. Tossed around the idea of a lighter grey for a wash? Feedback everyone?

I dry brush a slightly lighter grey. If you want to get fancy, you can also airbrush light and dark shades (dark at panel edges, light in center). Here's a sample of the combined technique of various airbrushed shades followed by a light grey dry brush.

110611 Cockpit Panel.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back