**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great as usual Andy and I shiver to think of that -35C while I feel the cold in +25C as was yesterday.

A short update.

The cockpit consoles are nearing completion with all the various bits of PE added. Yes, the map case is incorrect for a FAA aircraft but I won't tell if you don't. However, I did add scratch built flare cartridges which seem to be unique to FAA Corsairs. These were actually stored in 2 rows of 4 but the second row would be hidden by the seat so I didn't bother.

14030501.jpg

Now, the seat has me thinking because the supporting frame, though mostly hidden, apparently doesn't accurately portray the real thing. I can live with the solid wedge shaped support, which should actually be a tubular frame, but what's bugging me is that the frame should also have an integral bar across the top for draping the shoulder belts and the frame, along with the seat, should be pushed forward. Here's a pic of the kit assembly.

14030502.jpg

....and here's a reference pic of an FG-1 seat:

corsair_seat.jpg

...and a CADD pic of Tamiya's Birdcage Corsair:

f4u32cockpit.jpg

As you can see these are different and I'm struggling a bit to figure out what my F4U-1A's should look like. So if anyone has a good reference for the seat detail I should use, I'd appreciate some guidance.

No can help on the seat Andy, there is not one single reference on seats in all my books. I've a new one in the post, but it could be weeks yet.

Like the update though, there's some nice goings-on there.

Cheers Vic. My only other reference pictures are in a Squadron Walkaround book and it has great pics of the same set up as the FG-1 sample above.

I also have this, which is more like the Birdcage seat:

cockpit.jpg

I'll have to get back to you later about the details for -1As, but avoid looking to closely at Birdcages as the back panel is different and some things were moved around once production got to the -1A.

Have gone over my pics again Andy and looking close at this one it looks like the FG-1 seat, framework tubes come to a stop almost level with the back of the seat, and looking at the side of the aircraft, we seem to be in the right air force, i.e. light blue roundel and white dot centre.

F4U Cockpit 10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back