<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Do 335 - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username: Fubar57
First name: George
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Revell

Another captured bird in British markings...

gb2.JPG

Some history...

gb.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't given up on the other build but if I don't get this going it'll be two I won't finish, a straight forward outta the box build. Box and innards...

003.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG

Some detail shots...

012.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG

As mentioned in another post, this can be a single or two seat aircraft, the upper deck is a drop on piece...I hope

016.JPG

We meet again old friend...

018.JPG

Last edited:
I had full intentions of painting this kite thusly.....

gb2.jpg

....however these photos I found on the net show it was not painted thus...ly

gb1.JPG

gb3.JPG

No sprayed out crossed on the fuselage and it's hard to tell if the small patch of RLM 65 or 76(?, I've seen both mentioned) is still there under the front. What is certain is that the British roundels covered the U.S. Star and Bar on the fuselage and the wing roundels look a little odd. Can't tell for certain if the lower wings carried roundel, the small photo above looks like on on the right wing but it looks odd and the photo in Post #1 almost looks like one under the port wing but looking odd as well

Last edited:
Okay...top three posts are edited and re-edited, time to do some stuff. As mentioned earlier, the previous GB will be a priority.

EDIT: found one more pic with a caption that says only the vertical tail surfaces and nose cowling have been painted....

gb4.jpg

...now would that include the blue bottom on the cowling?

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek. 102 was the second aircraft the U.S. captured and was sent to the U.S. Navy. Found this in "Dornier Do 335, 435, 635" by Manfred Griehl....

gb5.JPG

A crappy Google translate....

"One of the last photos of the Do 335 A-1 (work number 240161). In the meantime, the machine had received British imperial badges and the British Air Ministry number AM 225 instead of the American ones. The machine, which was only slightly damaged as a result of the breakage, could no longer be made clear due to missing first parts"

Note the fuselage roundel lacks the Bars now and kinda looks like a yellow surround on the roundel

EDIT: I just noticed the the caption with 102 in it was under "Previous page"

Good one Geo, and yes, the Type C1 roundel has been painted over the top of the Stars and Bars on the fuselage, and it looks like these have been over-painted first, possibly in light grey primer.

Thanks guys. Though exterior painting is miles away, so is my exterior paint. I may or may not have the colours in the Model Air line, I may not. I've seen two callouts for topside colors, 70/71 for prototype and the earliest models and from a 1944 handbook 81/82....

do335a.JPG

Using Urban's chart, 81/82 are on the bottom. Tamiya XF-10 is close. The top green bar is from paint4models.com , lighter and close to XF-58 but I think the two together would be close enough...

do335.JPG

.....thoughts?

EDIT: Going through Urban's RAF colors, 34096 is one of the callout for RAF Dk. Green

Geo, I agree there is a mistake with the RLM82 and the FS number for that colour. According to my knowledge the RLM was the light green (or better, just green ) but not the dark one. The more correct FS number for the RLM82 should be FS34138. The mistake was caused because the RLM82 was confused with the RLM83 in the past. The FS 34096 is for the RLM83 IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I knew the late RLM colours were a minefield but I couldn't remember which field I was heading to. XF-58 Olive Green seems to be almost bang on and I'll go through my Vallejo Model Air tub when I get back. Right now, Vallejo Model Color Leather seems to be a close match for RLM81. I'll paint color patches on the inside of a wing half and post it later. I may have to go to PG any way. I was going to use Tamiya Smoke to discolour some of the aluminum but do you think I can find the two brand new bottles I bought a different times

I would be careful of the scan. Usually the colour tinges become a little different when scanned. Check on these two below and compare to the same seen in your scan. I think Andy's colour matches much better to the RLM82 than the XF58.

xf-58-olive-green_.jpg
xf-67-nato-green.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, agree with Wojtek. XF 58 is closer to RLM83, which you're not doing. I think you're looking for 81 "Brown Violet". I've only tried to make this once and didn't like the result so am not going to make a recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back