**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MK.I - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't know enough about FAA schemes to help much Geo, even though I have a couple of reasonably good books on the subject. But I do know that the colours used were relatively close in tone and hue, often seeming to appear as a single colour in some photos, both colour and B&W.
Maybe the FAA Museum and /or the RN Historic Flight web-sites will have some info ?

Thanks Terry. I think my problem was with Urban's Colour Reference Charts, a slight glitch...

Untitled.jpg

...I couldn't figure out how two colors had the same FS number so I went with the color above which ended up being too dark. Screw bed....I repainted. I think this is closer, on the right

004.JPG
007.JPG

Geo

Now that looks more like I'm used to seeing in period photos. I wasn't aware that the FAA used the 'shadow compensating' scheme on the lower wing, similar to the system used in the RAF, on the Gladiator, for example - learned something there !

Thanks guys. Terry, I read that Blackburn made Swordfish used the EDSG/DSG plus the counter-shading on the lower wings up to '44. This one was included in that production contract. Bed now and then I'll correct the fuselage. Thank god I stopped halfway along when I realized things were going sideways.

Geo

Tops of the top wing and the fuselage top:
- Extra Dark Sea Grey (FS 36118 or 36122)
- Dark Slate Grey (FS 34096 or 34079)
Tops of the lower wings:
- Dark Sea Grey (add to the FS36122 or 36118 some of white colour). Also FS36173 - Humbrol 125.
- Light Slate Grey (add to the FS34079 or 34096 1/2 of a drop of the white and 1/2 of a drop of yellow).Also FS34172 - Humbrol 117.

But more pratically is to use the FS36173 colour that is the lighter EDSG and the FS34172 that is the lighter DSG.

Much appreciated guys. Preparing to join the upper/lower wings together and add the P.E. but every time I get ready, I find something that may impede later construction. This time I was ready to install the center section but first the windscreen has to be painted and installed as the two rear struts go through the windscreen....odd setup but it has to be done. Wings should be together tonight.

001.JPG

Photo shows touch-ups needed. I wear gloves once I have paint on as Tamiya paint likes to show off finger prints. For some reason I never wore them when I trial fitted the center section....doh!!!

Geo

I shall have to finish mine, Look really good George, and to think you will be done before me and I started 6 or 8 month or more back.

Not so fast Don. Major fit problems with the struts and P.E. braces. Even though Tamiya made big honkin' holes for the struts to mount in, the struts are too wide so I've had to file them down and the force them into position....pop goes a seam. On top of that, the braces appear to be a mil or two too long. They bowed out like a sail in wind and then popped off, bent out of shape. I read about this in one of the modeling sites but the builders problem was with the inner braces. I have some wire about the same thickness and 2 months to figure out how to go about it.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back