**** DONE: 1/48 OS2U-3 Kingfisher - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The new colour is as good as the yellow, but with regard to whether you could finish the kit in the yellow livery or not, the aircraft you are depicting according to your entry post is a generic example of the Kingfisher, not a specific example of a specific time period. the Kingfisher was a type that served in WWII and after so in that respect i think your entry meets the competition guidelines. weve never insisted on liveries that are specifically WWII era unless you are depicting a particualr aircraft from a particualr moment in time. Judges seem to agree with that position, more or less.

I think it would have been fine to finish this kit in the 39-40 livery. Just sayin....

Well I am just starting to kick around how to do this. Never done this before but I though I would give it a try. I had though of a few ideas but I settled on this on. I picked up the old Revell USS Arizona at the local Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon. that put it with sales tax out the door at $14.27 so I figured no big loss. The Kingfisher flew from Battleships and Coursers from the late 30's till after WWII. so figuring late 41 Pacific operations from the Arizona with the launch of the Kingfisher. Just trying the concept out with the BB in the back ground and the OS2U in the foreground showing some depth. The Arizona is 1/426th scale and the Kingfisher is 1/48th well see.

Attachments

• kfdio1.JPG
    kfdio1.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 79
  • kfdio2.JPG
    kfdio2.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 82
  • kfdio3.JPG
    kfdio3.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 74
  • kfdio4.JPG
    kfdio4.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 82
Its a great concept. It will be difficult, however. To get your perspective right, i would suggest you mess about with two sticks in your backyard. how far distant does a 10 foot high stick need to be before it has the same proportions as a 1 foot high stick? i did some rough calculations, and at 80cm distance a 2.5cm stick appears to be the same as a 9cm stick behind it, or a scaling change of 3.6. you need to get to a scaleing change of 10, to make it look right.

once youve done that youll need to work out a way of making the aircraft appear as if it is airborne I dont think it would be a permananet display, so you would want to make the connection to the base detachable. Next you want the supporting rod to be as invisible as you can. Not sure how to do that ...maybe some carbon fibre rod or something.

Its a fantastic idea, but it wont be easy.

Easy and Cheap Diorama Water Effects Tutorial Part 1

Easy and Cheap Diorama Water Effects Tutorial Part 1
View on YouTube
Preview by Yahoo

Easy and Cheap Diorama Water Effects Tutorial Part 2

Easy and Cheap Diorama Water Effects Tutorial Part 2
View on YouTube
Preview by Yahoo

Donivan K. Phillips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back