**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AAAAaaaaaaarrgggg!!!! Anyhoo....thanks for looking in guys. The source of my my arg? Just started mounting the wing struts, the rear ones are okay but then this...

007.JPG

...both sides the same. I'll have to fill in a hole and drill a new one.

Struts are on and and now the clear parts. The cockpit clear part has all sorts of different sized panels. I have to say, it'll be a long time before I tackle something this large again as the interest seems to wain.

001.JPG

Geo

I missed your post yesterday George and would have suggested to just take a short chunk out of the struts. However, what you've done looks good anyway.

I know what you mean about large kits. I ran into that feeling when I did all of my twin engined builds (Me410, Mossie, and Bf110) and I have yet to tackle a 1/48 Do217 and Ju88. I couldn't imagine doing Viermots.

You're doin a bang up job mate.

Large kits? Boy don't I know. I'll have to look and see when I started my Tamiya Mustang..... couple of years I suspect. But so many other builds got in the way. Here, HARS, model repairs. Now am doing full size RAAF roundels on wings of a C-47! How do I do this to myself.

Thank you gentlemen. Vic, it was coming along nicely. The part of any build I always dread is the clear parts, especially multi-frame parts. Well sir, the Cat has five so I procrastinated until today. So far...

001.JPG

...and wouldn't you know it, putting down the last piece of tape and this happened...

002.JPG

Not sure why it broke as there was no pressure being applied. There is no way to fix it so I'm going to have to live with it. Anyone know the best way to paint the teeny tiny windshield wipers?

Geo

that is a dam shame.

I like the way youve gone about the masking....exceptionally neat. Can you get the finish with a brush that this build deserves? I would think almost a dry brush....certainly dont want to over apply the paint finish

I have the teeny tiny brush with about 3 bristles but here's the problem I have with it. I dip it in paint and there's always a blob at the end that start the line too thick and then thins out how I want it. I've tried removing the blob by wiping it off but that also removes most of the paint. Any suggestions?

Geo

Are you using acrylic? If so, it's probably drying too fast. Enamels would be better for that, thinned if necessary. Could also try painting a piece of matte scotch tape, then cutting a sliver off and sticking it over the wiper.

That good masking Geo but sorry to see the fracture, would I be right in thinking that it's on the underside, if so it would probably not notice once fitted. I also think you have said this one will hang, so again angle the hanging so as it's on the higher side.

As for the wipers, enough said already, but I have paint pens which make life easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back