**** DONE 1/48 Tamiya Me 262 A-2 Heavy Hitters Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone!

Very nice, She is looking good. I like how you did the dive angle red stripe on the canopy. Great attention to detail.

The dive angle stripes are decals that come with the kit. The camera, in this case, was kind in that it didn't pick up the clear backing of the decal which in hindsight I should have cut off. I tried dipping the whole canopy in Future after the decal was applied but it didn't hide the edges. And then on top of it, a couple of bubbles appeared under one of them so I'm actaully a bit disappointed in how they came out.

Last edited:
Thanks Gents.

Worked on the Kettenkrad and the figures today. Maybe post some shots tomorrow.

Following series of pics are of the finished Kettenkrad that comes with the Tamiya kit, a little gem of a kit itself. As you can see, it's only anout 60mm long (slightly under 2.5 inches).

A small number of mods were made to this little vehicle. First off, the kit didn't supply a decal for the vehicle number to go onto the plate that was attached to the front fender. I had already painted the plate white over black with the intent to scratch some numbers into it when I noticed that every reference photo I had of one of these things in LW service showed that there was no plate on the fender. That made the decision to snap it off and chuck it easy! Secondly, the rear mud flaps were discarded as they were far too thick and they were simply replaced with pieces of plastic card with a slight bend in them. One thing I forgot to add is a red reflector on one or both flaps. Finally, the stick shift and the lever to it's left were scratch built and added in the cockpit. These are stretched sprue with the knob made by holding one end carefully near a candle flame unitl it curled back to the desired shape. I'm still toying with the idea to add a hand brake and cable.

Paint was brushed on with an old tin of Humbrol HI 4 Sand. The intake grilles on the back of the cockpit were painted black and then drybrushed with Humbrol Sand to bring the grille pattern back. The leather seat cushions were first painted with gloss brown, then scraped and sanded to make them look worn. I had to do this a couple of times to get the look I wanted. The bogie tires were drawn with a fine black permanent marker and the tracks are gloss black with a bit of silver added. The whole vehicle was then given a wash of burnt umber mixed with black and I allowed it to run along ledges and recesses. Paint chips were added with a silver pencil. The vehicle was then dusted with light artist pastels with some black pastel added around the exhaust grilles on the back. Finally, mud was added using on old bottle of Testors Mat Military Brown which I had thinned with Varsol a couple of years ago that subsequently congealed on me. Rather than tossing it, I kept it as the stuff is great for making mud cakes.

Next it's on to completing the figures and base.

Attachments

• 100105 Kettenkrad 1.jpg
    100105 Kettenkrad 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 100105 Kettenkrad 2.jpg
    100105 Kettenkrad 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 100105 Kettenkrad 3.jpg
    100105 Kettenkrad 3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 100105 Kettenkrad 4.jpg
    100105 Kettenkrad 4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 125
  • 100105 Kettenkrad 5.jpg
    100105 Kettenkrad 5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 127
Sorry but my a$$ scale is 1/1, not 1/48. Hope you are able to convert the Kettenkrad, or else we might have some issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back