**** DONE: 1/72 F-86F - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username: Rogi
Name: Igor
Category: Beginer
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Academy
Type: North American F-86F-30
Aftermarket: possibly decals, depends how nice the academy treats me. :D

I've been in love with the crazy graphics on Mike's Bird for the last little while and this 1/72 has been in my pile since it launched lol

I can't wait to make her :), I'll update the thread a bit later with history and photos.

2 in 1 GB Ahhh will I finish this :D lol

Does anyone have experience with this kit's decals? I feel like Academy's decals are always hit or miss depending on the kit :O

Last edited by a moderator:
Go Igor, and if the kit is as old as the plane then may I suggest a protective coat of something like Microscale's Liquid Decal Film on the decals. This should hold them together if they are a bit brittle, also when applying, soak them well until they almost seem to be lifting off the backing paper. I sometimes use tepid water to ensure this.

Ok so I sat down yesterday and base coated the bird with a black base coat for the cockpit (the color of F-86F-30s is Light Grey in the cockpit, with a lot of use the color can become a medium to dark grey, older model F-86s have a Black cockpit) during the night I couldn't sleep a wink, so I went at the light grey coat and coated all the cockpit parts with Tamiya Light Grey)
I went to bed :D hoping that the color would dry by the morning :D
At around 11am I check up on the progress and found it was sufficiently dry enough, so I laid down the cockpit details and I just finished the 3rd go at the dials. 1 or 2 more goes at her and she should be ok, I outlined the dials on the cockpit sides in white so I could see the interior a little easier (grey does some funky things with my eye sight lol) After the last coat, I'll re-apply a little grey around the dials and it should be good to go.

Here are the photos so far with current progress:
Little bit of different tones of grey on the sides of the cockpit:
DSCN7893_zpsc3845348.jpg

Cockpit and instrument panel:
DSCN7891_zpsa351ba77.jpg

Side shot:
DSCN7892_zps70501b8f.jpg

I have around 1 or 2 more coats and then I'll glue the last panel in and seal it up :) this is a must finish before the end of September :D

Hope you guys enjoy :) and thank you for the comments :D

I ran into a slight issue, in the rear of the engine when you look right behind it, should it form a cross or an X shape?

Like if you are looking straight at the engine from the rear, some photos show a X (majority) and one or two I've seen form a t shape (or cross)

I'll post pics in a second.

Right inside here:
R1_zpsed592087.png

should it be this, a t shape:
DSCN7903_zpsdbae6f26.jpg

or an X shape:
DSCN7904_zpscbbc57f0.jpg

Please help guys :D I had a cross originally but then I hulked the portion out because I thought I made an error :D

Now I'm not sure which one is which :D

Last edited:
This is as good as I could find...

I only found 1 picture of the rear and it was an X :S

X.
According to a picture I found on Aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com

I thought it was an X as well that's why I hulked it out (I have a picture in one of my walk around F-86 books) , I'll wait for a couple more replys just to make sure its the proper X one :D

Thank you Geo and Paul :) any help is greatly appreciated :D :)

Looks like its an X man and not a T crusader :D lol

Small update, I decided to go with the X (a couple more members pmed me with their X-men choice :D)

Here is the work so far, puttied on the drop tanks and sanded away, checking with the silver, the back looks bad, the front good :)
DSCN7908_zps1d53c95b.jpg

I'll have to redo the application tomorrow :)

Here is the Fuselage, I usually putty the bottom first and then the top of the fuselage. I think this one turned out ok, just a bit of re-scribing tomorrow and it should be fine, after the silver paint check:
DSCN7912_zpsf06e3029.jpg

What do you guys use for putty? I have the usual method of leave a bit of glue to seap out, sand, apply putty on the entire surface if there is a gap. I've heard of items that melt the plastic and cover the entire surface. With little to no putty needed.

I usually have the issue of having a perfect line in the center to what you can see in the fuselage picture, sometimes it shows through when doing a small check. How could I reduce this to as little a time spent on putty as possible? :D Any opinions are appreciated :D

Try to ensure the best, properly aligned joint as possible and allow to fully set. Then use a fine file to file the joint if needed, followed by a very fine and light sanding, followed by a polish. Any lost surface detail can then be re-engraved. No putty should be needed, unless the parts are warped, or an unavoidable 'step' is present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back