**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ha ha... I'm always susceptible to the AM bug! But seriously, I think it is worthwhile since it is ADDING detail that is currently not there as opposed to just ENHANCING detail. Life is too short and modeling stuff too cheap to have regrets!

Indeed John, once I started thinking about it I wasn't going to be able to look at that area without regret! I should probably just give up on the idea of OOB builds...

Anyway, continued with preparation of sub-assemblies of robo-pit (weirdly, I'm watching Robocop as I type this) for painting.

cockpit parts web.jpg

I must admit, I had a bit of a disappointing session today. There is a lot of PE in this build with several delicate assemblies prone to breakage, so I found frustration starting to get the better of me. I also decided to represent the firing cables on the joystick.

cockpit photo c.jpg

I used 0.25mm copper wire for this which I glued to the side of the joystick with CA.

joystick web.jpg

I've already broken one of these off once and I suspect it will happen again during installation. Immediately after I'd done it, I realised what I should have done was drill a 0.3mm hole through the joystick and pass a single length of wire through. I may still do that if there's another breakage.

Finally, black-based the cockpit sub-assemblies in preparation for basecoat painting. I black-base nearly all of my interiors as a first step in producing shadows and depth. Here I've used Humbrol satin black enamel as I feel enamel performs better as a primer than acrylics. Other black primers would work well too.

cockpit parts blackbase web.jpg

Anyway, a bit annoyed with myself today so figured it was time to down tools and watch Robocop instead! Thanks for stopping by...

Thanks guys. And yes Andy, the better part of a bottle of red was demolished during Robocop :drinking:

Small update, Robopit's interiors were sprayed Verde Anticorrosione using Gunze H312. For the sidewalls, I sprayed oblique angles predominantly from the top and sides to take advantage of the black base for creating shadows and a bit of tonal variation. Ribs and raised features were then picked out by brush painting H312. The oxygen bottle and regulator which were black were masked off. Additional depth and weathering will be added next using drybrushing and washes ahead of the addition of further PE detail.

For the floor, the metal grilles, which were bare steel or aluminium, were deliberately only misted to leave a heavily shadowed green. In the next step, the grilles will be drybrushed an aluminium colour to represent the bare metal bars over the green floor. The area under the seat, which won't be visible anyway, was left as a heavy shadow.

cockpit parts basecoat web.jpg

Getting there and will be glad to see the back of Robopit...

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys. John, a couple of nights ago I would have sold it to you for less than that!

Geo, would love to see a Veltro in the GB :thumbright:

Slow progress, we're getting into the Xmas silly season so I'm not finding enough time for modelling! As we left it, Robopit's interiors were black-based and then basecoated to create the basic shadows and depth. The next step was to drybrush the metal floor grilles and other raised details aluminium to pop them out and apply an oil wash to create some more depth and dirty things up a bit. The oxygen tank and regulator housing were hand painted. A few other bits and pieces and PE were added at this stage but still more to come...

cockpit parts wash web.jpg

Hope to have some more updates in the next few days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back