**** DONE: GB-37 1/48 Bf109E-4B - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. Kirby, some of the oil stains on the bottom were intentionally NOT pulled as I wanted to represent drips that have run slowly and dried while the aircraft was parked.

Don, I agree about the panels and thanks for the comment. ALL model kits overscale their panel lines and rivets. Though I think Eduard have the best representations on these latest kits, it's best, in my view, to keep their emphasis muted. I would say that what I have done, though subtle, is still overdone to be realistic but it's a trade off between that and having a completely uniform surface which also doesn't look right on a model either in my opinion.

Looking at the close-up of the bottom, there are some areas that I will go over with a light spray of 65 again as some of the washes were not properly removed owing to awkward access.

While I take your point Don, I'd suggest that modern supersonic aircraft paid much closer attention to cleaner, smoother surfaces than their WW2 counterparts. Thanks for the compliment.

Good stuff Andy, and I agree, you've got it about right for a WW2 aircraft.
Far too many models are relegated, in my humble opinion, to good, rather than excellent, by over-emphasis on panel lines. I always think that, if it can be seen from thirty feet away, then fine, add it, if not, then leave it as is.

I don't know what happened. I though that I posted an update but I guess my brain is getting over-fried.

Anyway, the matte coat is applied, landing gear stuck on, masks removed, and prop pressed on without glue for the pics:

18042001.jpg
18042002.jpg

It seems my target of getting this project done by the end of this weekend ain't gonna happen as I need to add a bunch of fiddly bits yet. This will have to wait til after May 5 as I'm doing a long road trip to Ontario and back to pick up my son from University.

While I take your point Don, I'd suggest that modern supersonic aircraft paid much closer attention to cleaner, smoother surfaces than their WW2 counterparts.
And yes I agree with you any WWII and for that part internal combustion engine will make a bigger mess than a Jet and the radials are going to be the worst. I still like what you have done. A Lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back