**** DONE: GB-37 1:48 BP DEFIANT - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think there is any easy way of masking a canopy, much less a complicated turret assembly like this.....Masking is always a bit hit hit and miss, The most frustrating thing is when even when it looks all good you get a bleed past the masking,,,,,

I think I'm with terry on this.....

Agreed Michael. Broke down and started to apply the first masks and painting. Opening thoughts on the camo masks: they are translucent which is great as you can see the panel lines through the masks. The tackiness, which is something I was concerned about feels like Tamiya tape after you've removed some of the extra tack. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not but it's better than my concern that the tackiness was going to be like untreated 3M blue painters tape. I had to press the tape down a few times before I got to actual painting. I'm not going to be able to check for bleed under as the first masks that cover the lower camo stay on while applying the top camo. I used Gunze for the Dark Earth mixed 2:1 with distilled water, very nice. I tried several setting on my point and shoot to capture the color accurately and at 6 different settings this is the closest. Its lighter in real time...

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

I'll let this dry over night and spray the Dk. Green tomorrow when I get back from PG.

Thanks guys. How long do you wait before masking for the second colour Kirby? Do you use any other paint thinner ratio for basic painting. Nothing fancy like you do for doing over pre/post-shading as I'm not quite ready to do that yet

Thanks guys. How long do you wait before masking for the second colour Kirby? Do you use any other paint thinner ratio for basic painting. Nothing fancy like you do for doing over pre/post-shading as I'm not quite ready to do that yet

I like to wait 24 hrs (or at least until the next day) to be on the safe side Geo, I find if I try and mask on the same day the tape can leave a mark. I thin with Tamiya X20A thinner (I'm sure water is fine too) at around 60:40 paint:thinner for general coverage but most often thinner than that if I'm slowly building up coverage over pre-shading or doing fine work, etc.

Coming along nicely... for window trim, if its too difficult to mask, I would paint by hand and cleanup with a sharp toothpick since the wood doesn't seem to harm the plastic canopy. When I do get a decent mask, I found that spraying a clear coat first prevents bleed through around the edges.

Thanks guys. Whilst waiting for paint to dry I took the masks off the windscreen, very impressed. Off to PG in an hour as there is no dentist in this small burg. Should be back around 1ish and will then start laying down the masks and painting the Dk. Green and turret

Thanks guys. Its been a frustrating few days with the AML camo masks. No directions on how to use them so its trial and error, mostly error. The good part is that they are low tack and haven't remove any paint with all the re-positioning as some are a two piece affair. The bad part is that they don't conform well into panel lines. My plan is to shoot at low pressure, away from the edges. A few more and I can get spraying but here's a preview...

upload_2018-5-11_15-3-43.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back