**** DONE: GB-41 1/48 P-38 - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
Username : Javlin
First name : Kevin
Category :Intermediate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Eduard P-38
Extras : kit supplied brassin/mask

I have not decided as to what markings I will go with ATTM but it will be a NM finish

P-38 001.JPG

Washed the resin bits ,dried and primed.:)
P-38 004.JPG

Neato. I wasn't aware Eduard had a P-38
Rebox Academy/Minicraft. Eduard had a "Over Europe"-boxing of the same model as well.
BTW there is something mixed up in the original Academy kit which was also missed by Eduard. Even the kit is marketed as a J-model, the wing is more the one of a L-model (or a mix of J and L). The 4 bulbs on the underside are booster fuel pumps and standard for the P-38L and its derivatives (quote from D&S Vol.58). Ergo, not to be seen on J-models.
01.jpg

The compressibility flaps were not used earlier than on block P-38J-25-LO - it's good to know the block of the a/c that will be build.
On the other hand this wing has neither the landing light in the leading edge of the left wing (as seen on L-models), nor the round landing light under the left wing (as seen on J-models). One of them is to be added depending on the variant.

Last edited:
Were am I at ? after a tough night a couple nights ago got some good work tonight it does pay sometimes to just walk away!I will get a better pic in the sun before she slides in the fuse.
P-38 002.JPG

P-38 003.JPG

P-38 004.JPG

Last edited:
I have not decided as to what markings I will go with ATTM but it will be a NM finish
I have a friend, who did the original Academy kit and below are some points we discussed with him at that time. Those might help you with your model if you decide so.
From all decals in the box you can't do the J-models (both are earlier than block-25 - https://www.eduard.com/out/media/1175.pdf) without some changes to the wing.
For all L-models you have to add the landing light (see scheme below) in the leading edge of the left wing (as mentioned before).
file.jpg

Maybe there have been some more - I have to check.
Cheers!
P.S. I remembered what was the other problem: if you look at the above scheme you see the left pilon has a bulb at the front side - this is the gun-camera. On L-models it was mounted there, on J-models it was in the nose. I checked the Eduard/Academy parts and they don't have the camera on a pylon - their pylons are moulded as one piece with the external tanks.
06.jpg

If building a L-model you should add it there.
The old Monogram/Revell P-38 model had the camera(s) on both pylons!!! Somebody might find this part in the gribblies-bin and donate it. I must check mine. Below is a photo from a different forum about the same problem.
P38ordi1.jpg

Last edited:
Just a precision Kevin, if you want to build a P-38L-1, you will probably have to remove booster fuel pumps :)
As mentionned by CATCH 22, for simplicity, and if you want to use the decals in the Eduard box, you surely can build scheme A, B and maybe C & F (if it's L-5s models and after) with some minor modification: to add the landing light on the left wing (included in the kit) and to find a left pylon with camera... For my build I found an Hasegawa in my spare box ;)

Now I am starting to understand ....Now I think I have just pylons in my kit(?) and I have two different noses and two different windscreens so maybe they did do a little research :dontknow:

The pit is finished except some fiddly levers on the L/side up top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back