**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I (EARLY) - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Gunze H72 Dark Earth added. Once I get tother one to this stage I'll do both Dark Green

Watching with interest. My 40% off Hobby Lobby 1/72 Airfix Mk1b has this B/W options shown as well. That was the reason that I purchased; tired of the 'normal' schemes. That an the final cost was only $6 (US). The little searching that I did do on the B/W markings uncovered many variations, but the one that you are creating was my favorite. Looking forward to how you will do the camo on the top side?

Ralph, I've got diagrams of the camouflage which I printed out. I'm going to lay some Oracal Oramask 810 stencil film over the relevant parts of the diagram, cut them out and lay them on the model. This worked out well on my Typhoon but I'm still trying to work out how to do the bendy parts of the fuselage. I'm going to have to modify a few places on the diagrams to match the photos

1616437148499.png

The stuff is low tack but I de-tacked it a bit more and got no paint lift

Ralph, I've got diagrams of the camouflage which I printed out. I'm going to lay some Oracal Oramask 810 stencil film over the relevant parts of the diagram, cut them out and lay them on the model. This worked out well on my Typhoon but I'm still trying to work out how to do the bendy parts of the fuselage. I'm going to have to modify a few places on the diagrams to match the photos

The stuff is low tack but I de-tacked it a bit more and got no paint lift

A question. Were all camo applications (factory applied) exactly the same? I see variations on the box arts and the kit builds and sometimes in photos (not just this aricraft model but US/ German/ British).

RAF camouflage was to a set pattern, based on a "grid" painting diagram, but there were variations, however slight, in the actual application, even from the same factory.
As an example, look closely at the photo below, showing Mosquito B.XVI's built by Percival Aircraft, and you'll see slight variations in the actual shape an spacing of the standard camouflage pattern.
( Original pic source Percival /MAP, in Public Domain ).

Mosquito B.XVIs Percival  -  cammo pattern.jpg

Thanks all. The easy bits are done but haven't been firmly pressed into place yet. This stuff isn't really that bendy so my plan is to cover as much of the flat areas of the fuselage with this stuff and finish off with Tamiya. Its hard to tell here but before I cut out the masks, I pencilled in panel lines and borders to make sure everything lines up

IMG_0001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back