**** DONE: GB-51 1/48 Heinkel He162A-2 Salamander - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Making some progress in 15 minute spurts so the next batch of pics will show a big jump. Despite reports of perfect fit I have managed to get a few things a little bit misaligned which requires some minor surface primer work. Back out the door now so will try to post an update tomorrow.

I thought I'd better throw in some pics to keep the cobwebs off this thread.

The wings are pretty simple and have been glued together and set aside. When cleaning up the sprue gates, you need to be careful not to mistake the little tabs at the wing roots for flash. They are supposed to be there so don't remove them!

21082903.jpg

The tail was also stuck together. Simple.

21082904.jpg

For some reason the highly touted Tamiya fit was not something that I experienced on the fuselage, though I've had worse, much worse. The panel behind the canopy had a distinct step in it and needs surface primer to smooth it over. Not the easiest place to access either as there is raised detail that needs to be preserved.

21082901.jpg
21082905.jpg

This was my fault. Somehow I got some TET under my fingers when gluing the halves together. Fortunately the damage was limited and did not affect any details. A little surface primer did the trick.

21082906.jpg

Another step was evident behind the forward landing gear bay and this also needed filling and sanding. I also did a bit on the seams at the midsection and rear.

21082907.jpg

Trial fitting of the wings and tail to the fuselage reveals some good, tight fits so it may be possible to paint these parts separately. That's where she's at now. Back when there's more to show.

Tanks guys. After much deliberation, I've decided to go with this scheme:

af39122167128a7ab9d29d2cd7f711f7.jpg

There seem to be many interpretations on the colour of the nacelle intake ring. Yellow, red, 02, and NMF have all shown up on other models so there will be a decision to make. If the 11 is yellow and the arrow and nose red, I'd be inclined to think that the ring is red from the shade in the pics. However, it would seem to make sense that yellow, being the staffel colour, would make sense. Opinions welcome.

If the air intake would be of the yellow , the number '11' had to be of the same tone but it looks like it was of white. Also the the red of the markings is very light. This may indicate the pic was taken with the yellow filter. If it was, the coat of the air intake would be as light as the number because the yellow filter just caused its brightening. But the colour tone of the air intake is darker than the number. Therefore, I would say, it could be of the matt aluminium grey colour or the primer used for the engine cowling rather. It is very likely there wasn't any primer used and the air intake could stay of the NMF getting soon the matt grey tone. A similar tone can be noticed at the side of the engine cowling just below the loop antenna where the camo colour peeled off. What is more the tone of the main wheel rim looks almost the same or just exactly like the one of the air intake. The red could be as well but it seems that's not the case. Just my opinion.

Here two shots of another He 162 displayed in Trafalgar Square, London .... I believe the air intake was of the NMF as well.

he162a.jpg

he162A-.jpg

And the next one ...

he162A-2.jpg

the source: the net

Thanks guys. Food for thought.

Geo yes the cowl intake ring is a separate moulding but the cowl side panels leave a little to be desired. Film at 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back