**** DONE: GB-55 (1)1:48 Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In a book, le_stef40 sent me a photo of the page, there is a synopsis of the paint seen on this AC I used in my intro with the crew walking alongside.
View attachment 681017
I will be painting as described in this book.
One thing it does mention, I have my own theory, it states it is being delivered to 249 Sqn which is probably true. But the code over-painted looks like MK, which was a code used by 126 Sqn and in the production record reflects the plane was sent to 126 from the factory. The code under the canopy remains with an upper left "corner". Could have been any letter Like B, D, E, F, M, N, P, or R and seams to be yellow. Front air intake cowl looks like Sky where the AC underside may be Azure. Fuselage probably Extra Dark Sea Blue, close to roundel blue. Radiator cover Black as all these different colours may be Replacement parts from other AC which leads Me to believe it has been In Service with 126 Sqn before this picture was taken. Looks like a patch on the lower part of the rudder, possibly battle damage.

Got my work cut out for me!!!
But it will be unique!

Here a couple of enlargded shots of the know pic of the EP257. Judging by the shape of the code latter seen partially above the wing tip I would say it couldn't have been any letter like A,B, D, E, F, P or R, But just M or N. The shape left top part of the letter is very characteristic for these two letters . Also the right piece seen there indicates it as well. Which one it was .. the M is more likely than the N but .. so the choice is yours.

EP257_a.jpg

EP257_b.jpg

EP257_c.jpg

Painted the cockpit today, headway being made.

The guys on this forum are great,
Fubar came thru with some photos of 249 Sqn.
Illustrations from a book about Malta Sqns.
They give me a place to start looking.
Thing about illustrations is they are always suspect.
The same serial could be in many forms.

Even Beurling's aircraft, 32 victories and no photos of His AC?
So EP706 could be a Mk.V, Vb or even a VbT.
Could be Extra Dark Ocean Grey, desert camo or even grey and green.
Sky or Azure underside. Could be an "A" or "B" camo scheme.
White, Sky or even Yellow codes.
Codes could be tight to the roundel, way forward under the back glass of the canopy.
Even unsightly spaced either side of the roundel, one side and not the other.
Models have been built and posted on the web reflecting each and every one of the above.

I could do my Davidson AC of 126 Sqn, but I don't know the code, and have no photo.
Examining photos of WWII AC in general the rules seem to only apply to the Factory.
And then even they had to mix odd batches of color to Make Do because of shortages.
In the field the codes, even the roundels were taller, shorter, higher, lower, fatter and even
different colors and shades..... just like the pilots who flew them.
I would imagine pressed for time and materials accounted for much of this.
Hell, there was a WAR on!!!!
Every custom decal I have applied to an AC comes from an actual photo of the plane.
I make ever attempt to be as accurate as I can to the subject AC.

I say again, you guys are tops! I love this place!!!!

Here is a case in point.
The middle, of course is the active AC.
Bottom as illustrated. Codes and serial and Fin flash!
Top, I have recreated the markings From the middle photo.
A marked difference. in size, shape and placement of all.
Not to mention the shape of the vert stab and rudder.
I was going for a grey green camo scheme, but may do this one.
I am going to assume the codes were in Sky and underside Azure,
standard colors upper fuselage.
Case in point of illustration.jpg

BTW, a progress photo of the cockpit painting.
GB55 05.jpg

Very clean, New AC!!!!!!!

I think you're right regarding the code is sky color, but it could be in MSG, but it seems that the aircraft behind (MKoJ or MKoL ?) wears white code letter (or sky)... it depends on filter used for the photo

I have enlarged the pic posted above ..

Case in point of illustration1.jpg

IMHO ...

the code letters ...
- the "P" letter should be "taller" slightly going on the wing-fuselage fairing at the bottom. Its top part seems to be of more rectangular shape and more square corners.
- the "MK" letters look correct. If compared to the white "MK" code on the Spit in the background The "M" letter is more pointy at the top but not flat. Both letters should be "taller".
According to the pic both letters start slightly below the bottom edge of the RAF roundel.
The colour for the code letters is said to be the MSG but it seems that the yellow could be as well, especially if the camo colours weren't the desert one.

Also .. please make a focus on the spinner shape. It doesn't seem to be the longer one used later with the Rotol prop.

PS. I have a little bit larger scan of the profile .. however the "M" letter is not of the pointy tops.

spit5_.jpg

the source: the net.

I have enlarged the pic posted above ..

View attachment 681653

IMHO ...

the code letters ...
- the "P" letter should be "taller" slightly going on the wing-fuselage fairing at the bottom. Its top part seems to be of more rectangular shape and more square corners.
- the "MK" letters look correct. If compared to the white "MK" code on the Spit in the background The "M" letter is more pointy at the top but not flat. Both letters should be "taller".
According to the pic both letters start slightly below the bottom edge of the RAF roundel.
The colour for the code letters is said to be the MSG but it seems that the yellow could be as well, especially if the camo colours weren't the desert one.

Also .. please make a focus on the spinner shape. It doesn't seem to be the longer one used later with the Rotol prop.

PS. I have a little bit larger scan of the profile .. however the "M" letter is not of the pointy tops. You are right, but it is the illustration, an Interpretation.

View attachment 681658
the source: the net.
You are correct and I made some adjustments!
Case in point revised.jpg

Last edited:
I did notice, no two alike.
Same went for D-Day stripes, widths and placement........ strange.
What is so strange. It's war, they get a plane and it doesn't have a week to get ready to be used. They landed a Malta and took off again to go kill Germans trying to kill them. Just like D day. They were told the night before and given a basic idea of what needed to be done. In the dark with brooms, mops ect.. threw on the strips.

Just received this in the mail today, Eduard's 3D interior!!!
I am impressed, even the seat back, although in black.
Little panels, seat belts which I needed. The IP looks and feels terrrrific!
Even the compass top and a PE bracket for it. It's the Biz I tell yah!
See! I got a set for each of my builds.
GB55-2 8.jpg

Good stuff Bill. Believe Don may have had problems with the 3D parts when sticking down with CA glue, think he said they may have turned off colour. My suggestion when I do my own on the Wellington is to try PVA glue. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back