**** DONE: GB-57 1/48 US Spitfire Mk.IXc - WW2 Foreign Service

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little
First name : Wayne
Category : Judge – Non competing
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Eduard 1/48 MkIX Spitfire
Extras : None……in the Kit.

My Foreign Service subject for this Group build will be an American marked Spitfire Mk.IX "Lady Ellen III" of the 309th fighter squadron based at Castel Volturno, Italy in early 1944 and flown by Lieutenant John Fawcett.
A number of The Spitfires of the 309th FS carried the red bordered surround to the Stars and bars well beyond the specified active period of July – Aug 43 as they waited for their replacement P-51 Mustangs which did not occur until March 1944.
They also carried Red ID stripes on the outer wings for the 309th FS as well as a Red Spinner common to each of the squadrons at this time.
This particular aircraft carried the European Green Grey scheme while some others carried the MTO Desert Browns.

Image source American Spitfire, Camouflage and Markings by Ventura Publications

Lady Ellen III.JPG
Lady Ellen III_a.jpg
Eduard Mk.IXc Spitfire.jpg

Watching the build for multiple reasons. One just genuine interest in seeing your skill at work. The other, since I've only built 1/72 Spits in the past, I'm ready to graduate to 1/48 (maybe even 1/32!). Will have to chose between my two favorite kits mfg's. Eduard and Airfix. Hope you will not be running into fit issues like George is on his 190!

Watching the build for multiple reasons. One just genuine interest in seeing your skill at work. The other, since I've only built 1/72 Spits in the past, I'm ready to graduate to 1/48 (maybe even 1/32!). Will have to chose between my two favorite kits mfg's. Eduard and Airfix. Hope you will not be running into fit issues like George is on his 190!
Thank you Sir... no fit issues here, just more parts than the Airfix kit.....

Assembled the starboard side of the wing the other day but didn't have my camera...so documented the bits for the port side I did today....
undercarriage bay parts, top wing, wingtip and aileron....
5_U-C Bay Parts_1954.jpg
6_U-C Bay_1957.jpg
7_U-C Bay Assy_1965.jpg
8_Wing Tip & Aileron_1978.jpg
9_Wing Assy_1980.jpg
10_Wing Assy_1981.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back