**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Heinkel He219 A-7 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Username: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: Advanced
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model: Heinkel He219 A-7 (kit 61057)
Scale: 1:48

Heinkel He219 A-7 Uhu box art.JPG

Idle hands are the tools of the devil, or something like that? 5 weeks to go to GB59, the temps hitting the 100's, dew points in the high 70s to 80s, not much one can do outdoors with weather like that, so plenty of bench time available.

This is the last of my night fighter stash and thought I'd go ahead and enter yet again. The plastic (D sprue is X2).

Sprues.jpg

This is one BIG bird! ~15" (381mm) wide and ~14" (356mm) long! Shelf rearrangement time. Have to retire some of the older builds to make room for this beast. But with the shelving being only 12" deep I'm not sure if it will fit without some dangerous overhangs?

Three camo schemes illustrated, one having a black belly. Probably will go with the black underbelly, but no more midnight, flat, black finishes! One of the great parts of this kit is the full size camo sheet. No more futzing with the copier and trying to scale a copy of the instruction sheet. I suspect applying the camo will be the lions share of the build time?

Full Size Camo.JPG

And for Sergio (destrozas), I do not have any cats so this should be a safe build. Not sure from your last posted wording if the kit or the cat, or both died?

Last edited:
A lovely one Ralph, built one some time back and made it into a little display and your right, it is big. You may want to take a look its the first posting of this thread:

:D

A lovely one Ralph, built one some time back and made it into a little display and your right, it is big. You may want to take a look its the first posting of this thread:

Wow, talent you have! Impressed with the whole lot. The He219 was quite an assembly of ideas. Liked the diorama. Fitting just the bird somewhere will be a task, no less that assemblage!

What kit was that? And just to ask, what colors did you spray on, brands and such? Tamiya has it's on interpretations of the colors, but I'm going with the standard RLM mix; 02, 66, 75, 76 and 22 for the black. All Vallejo.

Wow, talent you have! Impressed with the whole lot. The He219 was quite an assembly of ideas. Liked the diorama. Fitting just the bird somewhere will be a task, no less that assemblage!

What kit was that? And just to ask, what colors did you spray on, brands and such? Tamiya has it's on interpretations of the colors, but I'm going with the standard RLM mix; 02, 66, 75, 76 and 22 for the black. All Vallejo.
Can't be sure about answering any of this but I certain the kit was the Tamiya from 1997. As for colours I was fully into enamels then so it would have been White Ensign paints who had a range of RLM colours and Humbrol, I would have closely followed the kit instruction using the RLM paints. :D

Can't be sure about answering any of this but I certain the kit was the Tamiya from 1997. As for colours I was fully into enamels then so it would have been White Ensign paints who had a range of RLM colours and Humbrol, I would have closely followed the kit instruction using the RLM paints. :D
Just wasn't obvious seeing the open wing inspection panels and the engine on the stand. Now that is not part of my 1997 Tamiya kit. Either you have excelled in showing off your talents, or Tamiya has changed the kit? Where did the engine come from? After market?

Just wasn't obvious seeing the open wing inspection panels and the engine on the stand. Now that is not part of my 1997 Tamiya kit. Either you have excelled in showing off your talents, or Tamiya has changed the kit? Where did the engine come from? After market?
No Ralph, kit was as you have I just also purchased and extra resin set to enhance the model, so what you see is the Tamiya set, some extra resin detail and a lot of surgery.
It was also my first effort at airbrushing this sort of camo. :D

Nice one Ralph and, yes, the camo will be entertaining. FWIW, my build has a few reference pics that might be of use. The kit wheel wells were a disappointment that needed to be addressed for me and the one side of the backseater's office needed more detail.

Nice one Ralph and, yes, the camo will be entertaining. FWIW, my build has a few reference pics that might be of use. The kit wheel wells were a disappointment that needed to be addressed for me and the one side of the backseater's office needed more detail.

Thanks. Reviewing the build now. Plenty to sift through.

Interesting, when I did a search for this specific build, in the forums, all that came up was the one from Sergio (destrozas)? I need to sharpen my search skill as well I guess.

Also, I found this while poking around the net. I believe it was Britmodler? The seat belts are crafted from tamiya tape and not sure of the hardware, but it looks like round and flat plastic bits? I believe I may try the same. Not using the marginal looking decals, If the tape is not right, rip it off and start over. What can go wrong?

The progressive photos....

BM seat belts.jpg

BM seat belts2.jpg

BM seat belts3.jpg

Those belts turned out really nice Ralph. Keep them! My only comment would be that seat belt straps are quite thick and in real life would not settle into every corner of the seat but rather drape over sharp edges.

As for searches, I had the same issue when I tried to find my post by entering "He219". My thread did not show up because I used "He-219" in the title which is actually not the correct syntax I believe.

Those belts turned out really nice Ralph. Keep them! My only comment would be that seat belt straps are quite thick and in real life would not settle into every corner of the seat but rather drape over sharp edges.

As for searches, I had the same issue when I tried to find my post by entering "He219". My thread did not show up because I used "He-219" in the title which is actually not the correct syntax I believe.
From your 2010 build post I grabbed these. Would not the belts look more like this? The shoulder belts not extending down into the seat area and the seat belt attach points closer to the back pin joints? Easier to do and these do look more realistic.
219seat.jpg
219A-0seat.jpg

From your 2010 build post I grabbed these. Would not the belts look more like this? The shoulder belts not extending down into the seat area and the seat belt attach points closer to the back pin joints? Easier to do and these do look more realistic.
View attachment 727101View attachment 727100

Well, IMO that depends on a lot of things. Does the drawing match reality or did the artist draw them shorter for clarity? Are the belts folded behind the seat? Is there a retraction mechanism maybe? I don't know the answers. There are also these linked pics from the net:

nevington-he-219-ejection-seat4_orig.jpg
7688.jpg

Well, IMO that depends on a lot of things. Does the drawing match reality or did the artist draw them shorter for clarity? Are the belts folded behind the seat? Is there a retraction mechanism maybe? I don't know the answers. There are also these linked pics from the net:

View attachment 727114View attachment 727115
Options/decisions?? I'll give a shot at something and before finalizing (painting and hard attach) I'll show-N-tell to get some feedback. Your comment on the 'draping' effect. I think I'm going to try a double up thickness of the tape, glue side to glue side, leaving some sticky on the ends where they attach to the seats. Maybe using some washi tape instead of Tamiya, which I have a selection of colors of washi.

I did read through your build thread. Almost put everything back in the box and place it back on the storage shelf. Such a great build, detail and final. Such a high bar to try and match. But for now, understanding my skills limitations, I will be building as provided by Tamiya, warts and lack of detail, and all. But great cautions on fits and detail finishing that I can do. Pot holes understood, Thanks

Opinions....I doubled up some washi tape and left the tips with some sticky . These are preliminary and looking for feed back on the 'draping' look? There were some comments on the images that I posted (somebody else's creation) about needing the belts to not tuck so tight to the details. Possibly these are a bit wide, but I measured the Tamiya decals and cut the washi tape to that width.

seat belts drape p.jpg

seat belts drape s.jpg

About ready to apply the RLM 66 interior color to all and then start the fine detailing, which will include the seat belts. I'm also considering plagiarizing Andy's added detailing with additional bits added to the starboard pit wall. Just need to find some thin plastic and a radiator to chop up:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back