**** DONE: GB-58 1/72 Dornier Do 217 N-1 – Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to John Mcillmurray from AIMS Decals, GG+YG is a prototype and the camo scheme is not the same as G?G+??, infos here again 😉,
Dornier-217-N1-01d.jpg

Maybe the aircraft was repainted later with blotches added ?

Last edited:
I was about to chime in on that too. Here's another pic of the same aircraft Steph posted above:

Do217-N1-(GG+YG)-FuG202-23.jpg

Source: Rod's WarBirds

Note the single tone camo on top - probably 75 with no splinter pattern. I was going to suggest that it is the same aircraft but with the mottles painted later. The photo you posted, Glenn, appears in Aircraft Profile Publicaiton 261 by Alfred Price and in the caption he notes that the absence of the flame dampers suggests that the aircraft was used as a trainer.

EDIT: ICM's new kit carries decals for GG+YG and shows the mottles as an "alternate nose" scheme. However, they also show splinters on top:

Capture.JPG

yes, I located several entries in the different books that I have about the do 217 and that is that the plane had two decorations, the first was the prototype 07 of the plane series in two gray tones rlm75 for the upper part and rlm76 for the rest and then The camouflage that they have placed when the plane was already in production is made.

"Dornier Do 217 N-1. Prototype No. 7, GG + YG (radio codes) Rechin, Germany, Summer 1942. Finished in RLM 76 Light Blue lower surfaces and RLM 75 Grey Violet on the upper surfaces with high fuselage demarcation. In the summer of 1943 he appears in the photo you like with the chipped and mottled pattern on of RLM 75 Grey Violet and RLM 74 Grey Green, but wartime photos look more like a single RLM 75."

I have not found on the net images of the books that I have so the copyright is involved and I will not put them

Thanks for all the help, guys.
I think I'll be using the profile that Catch 22 put up on post #20 and also use the white G under the cockpit in the ICM profile that Andy posted above as it's shown in the photo.

I've made a small start on it, assembling what there is of the cockpit, spraying it RLM 66 and glueing it to the right side fuselage half. The fuselage halves are only dry fitted to make sure the cockpit floor is in alignment as the glue sets.
And you're not seeing double. The Dornier production line has started up. I gave my 217 K1 the same treatment as the 217 N-1 and will be starting a Airfix Do 17 E/F shortly and maybe even a Monogram Do 17 Z I have in the stash.
I might start a start to finish thread on these other builds.

20230502_231001.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back